bike idles but dosent rev up

Started by 123red82, April 09, 2008, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123red82

hey i am new to motorcycles i have an 83 vision that i just bought it has been sitting a while, the carbs were cleaned a year ago but never driven since from what i am told i cleaned out the tank put a new fuel line on with a filter cranked it over till it fired it starts fine and even idles on its own for around 5 minutes but dies eventualy when you open the throttle it sometimes revs up but only to a certian point and bogs down and other times it just dies any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Rick G

If the carbs had gas in them , more than likely  they will need to be dipped. If you need tutoring in this procedure, contact Lucky , on this forum and get one of his Cd's. between that and  our help , you will get through it!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

it sounds like eiter a crb cleaning or fuel starvation (blockage or synq adjustment is way off)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Hello and welcome to the ROV, the only place a Vision should bring its new keeper!!!

I had exactly the same problem with "The Mistress" when I first got her...The carb's may still need cleaning, however, it may well work using a can of Berrymans carb cleaner, added into the gas tank, from your friendly Walmart for about $3.00 'ish...Worth a try ;)

or/and...it could be the carb's need sync'd.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Make sure the fuel line is not kinked and the vacuum line is connected to the petcock correctly.

Oh, btw, welcome to ROV!

YellowJacket!
aka David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

123red82

thanks for the help i think i will pull the carbs apart this weekend also the yics is leaking so i will also fix that and hope fully be able to get it running

inanecathode

Before we go diving headlong into carb dip, hows your spark plugs/wires? I know these are vision carbs, but they were cleaned already, that counts for something...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

123red82

ok i cleaned the carbs all jets out striped right down dipped and back together started up idles nice as soon as you touch the throttle it dies played with the sync a little and can get it to rev a bit better but then it wont idle. there are two brass screws at the bottom of the carb on the petcock side what do those need to be set at and is there any other set screws i should check i also did the yics fix and it is air tight thanks for all your help

Rick G

When the bike tries to die, pull the choke on . If it then will rev up , the carbs are still gummed up , if  not then the problem is elsewhere.  Let us know.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

This reaaaaaally sounds like an ignition problem to me.

Rick G

With out experencing it in person, I'm going with the easy stuff first. It only takes afew seconds to  start it and pull on the choke . Finding  an electrical problem  will take longer.
Rick G

inanecathode

Well yeh, it will, im just saying it sounds like ignition to me, could be fuel starvation too i suppose.

dj

If it starts and idles then the ignigtion sounds fine to me.  It seems to me that one (or both) part(s) of the carbs isn't spraying (not spraying enough) gas down the throats when the throttle is twisted.

The two screws that you are talking about (as long as they are on the left side of the bike by the drain hose for the carbs) is the drain screws.  They are loosened to drain the float bowls.  they can also be loosed to check and see if there is gas in each bowl (good trouble shooting technique).  Loosen one screw at a time and see if gas drips out the drain hose.  This will tell you if both bowls have gas in them.  If they both do then take the tank off and the air filter and look down the carb throats.  Give the throttle a twist and see if there is a good stream of gas coming out the bronze colored nozzle on both the front and back carb.  If not then that is your problem.  The carbs will need to be taken apart again and the bronze nozzles removed (there is a small ball and a small weight in the tube where it sits that need to come out as well.

Try that and let us know what happens.  Sounds to me like enough fuel is getting through the nozzles to idle, but not enough to keep the bike running on higher RPM's (fuel starvation).
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

kwells

sounds silly but jets can easily be mixed up
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

NOT silly, at all , tha's why I use a jewelers loop, when working on carbs. Some jets look the same but are differant sizes.
Rick G

123red82

ok carb cleaning round 2 i got on excelerator pump nossle working and the other dripping the diaphram is not looking that great little cracks, and the nozzle is plugged i had the nozzle off and ball and weight out and let it sit in carb cleaner now when i first take it out of the cleaner i can blow through the nozzle but after one blow the cloggs up again any ideas of getting the clog out and any one know the best place to get a diaphram? thanks

Lucky

the wire on a needle threader, you know the little thing you stick thru the eye of a needle to put the thread in? picture of a girl on the flat metal part? clip the wire off one end, it's stiff enought to scrape away all the crusty stuff inside the nozzle without changing the hole size.

--Lucky.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I keep several sizes of multistrand electrical wire in my tool box , to clean out jets with. They don't last long but there disposable  and cheap.
Rick G

123red82

how can you tell the differance between 82 and 83 carbs i was told the bike is an 82 and the motor is an 83 but i would like to double check before i buy parts thanks

Brian Moffet

The photo below is a set of 1983 carbs.  If you click on the URL, you can see more photos of the same set from different views.  (choose "previous", the photos are in reverse chronological order, sort of).

You can see two lines coming out the side of the carb, one is a return to the petcock (comes across the top in a T), and one is the inlet to the pump.  82 carbs don't have that.  I looked for a photo of 82 carbs, but I couldn't find one.

Brian