News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

bike idles but dosent rev up

Started by 123red82, April 09, 2008, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tben

If it still dies when you have got the A/C nozzles fixed then I would snip the rev limiter wire. I believe its the yellow/black wire on the TCI and in back of the speedometer. I unscrewed it from the back of the speedometer and put heat shrink tubing over the connection. I want to be able to reverse it later on.
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Rick G

I can't figure why you would want to reattach the damed , rev limiter wire !  It was always a nuesence!

'82 carbs have the  low speed adjustment (or the plug over it ) on the left side  at the lower rear of the  carb. The '83 has them on the right  with a larger screw adjuster or plug .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Imagine this scenario:
Your throttle pins wide open, you dont catch it in time. How long would 15k rpm take to bend valves?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

The chances of that  are so remote as to be unbelievably remote , in any event thats why there's a switch right under your thumb,  to shut the thing down. Besides, I don't think your going to jump off and reconnect the wire if you miss a shift.
The rev limiter is set at around 12,000 to 12,500  and Vision race engines are run to 15,000,  Even I never tried to get it beyond 11,500 .
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

123red82

once again thanks so much for your help i havent been able to get into the bike again the week but i am still wondering about those screws one at the bottom of each carb on the left side just before the intake boots are those mixture adjustments i am working on 82 carbs cause they dont look like the picture

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on April 16, 2008, 12:05:36 AM
The chances of that  are so remote as to be unbelievably remote , in any event thats why there's a switch right under your thumb,  to shut the thing down. Besides, I don't think your going to jump off and reconnect the wire if you miss a shift.
The rev limiter is set at around 12,000 to 12,500  and Vision race engines are run to 15,000,  Even I never tried to get it beyond 11,500 .

I bet you i could grenade a vision engine without a rev limiter :O
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

I'm sure you could grenade anything!  But the choice of running on one cylinder , or cutting the wire is a simple choice for me, and I've had no problems , at least with the top end , the bottom end is another problem.
Mine won't pull more than 10,000 on a good day and 9,500  on a bad one, so the lack of a rev limiter  is academic.
Rick G

Brian Moffet

Mine gets way too buzzy at 8500.  I rarely see 7k on mine with the riding I do...

Brian

Rick G

I usually  cruse at 6000 to 6500, about 80 mph. But through the gears  I'll hit redline , especially if I'm pulling onto I40 with its 80mph traffic. I never really considered the Vision as buzzy at any rpm , not like a four cylinder , I dislike  the things on many levels.
Rick G

YellowJacket!

Quote from: 123red82 on April 16, 2008, 12:14:27 AM
once again thanks so much for your help i havent been able to get into the bike again the week but i am still wondering about those screws one at the bottom of each carb on the left side just before the intake boots are those mixture adjustments i am working on 82 carbs cause they dont look like the picture

Back on topic.

I think you may be talking about the mixture adjustment screws.

I dont have my notes handy but I think a good starting point is to screw them both in until they barely stop then back them out 2.5 turns for the front one and 4 turns for the rear.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

123red82

ok so i guess 3 times is the charm took carbs apart again pulled the nozzle off again and cleaned it using carb cleaner a wire and a heat gun (it was a suggestion from a bike shop) and after 45 minutes of picking spraying and blowing i got two excellerator pump nozzles that both spray evenly now i am sure all the adjustment are out how do i go about tuning it? thanks so much i will try to get pictures tomorrow of those screws

dj

Now that your carbs are clean and functional MAKE SURE to get a FUEL FILTER inline between the petcock and the carbs.  You've got clean carbs and a 25+ year old nasty @$$ tank with who knows what inside of it that is just waiting to mess your carbs up again.

Put everything back together and see how she runs, then make your adjustments.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Rick G on April 13, 2008, 05:01:51 PM
I keep several sizes of multistrand electrical wire in my tool box , to clean out jets with. They don't last long but there disposable  and cheap.

...and the wire is soft enough that it cannot change the size of a hole. You can twist several for a larger hole.

$0.02
;)
Coil

mshowe

Could be the RR (rectifier).  I had similar symptoms, like hitting on one cylinder.  As mentioned on other threads, take a look at the connector between Stator And RR if you haven't already done so.
1981 Honda XL 125S
1983 Yamaha Vision
1993 Yamaha Venture