News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Non V? 1982 Honda Magna 750 V45 rear brake dragging after winter storage

Started by dj, April 11, 2008, 07:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

Hi all,  I know that I might not get an answer on this one, but I bought my father-in-laws bike and as the title shows it is an 82 Honda Magna V45.

My problem is that the rear brake (drum brake very similair to the V by the looks of it) is dragging/locking up.  The bike was stored in a barn over the winter I am thinking that it is just dragging because it was sitting for almost all of last year (only ridin 3-4 times).

What I am looking for is general tips on getting a drum brake to stop dragging.  Unfortunately I don't have a manual for the bike.

Any ideas?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

inanecathode

If its a mechanical drum brake, you can do one of two things:
Ride it until it scrapes the rust out of the drum
Back the rear brake off now to stop it from dragging, then adjust it back in when the rust scrapes off and chance not having brakes when you need them
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Remove the rear wheel  and inspect the drum and shoes . I've seen in rare occasions the brake lining debond .When it comes to brakes leave nothing to chance. If its just rust, you can take some sand paper  and polish the inside of the drum.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dj

That's what I was figuring I was going to have to do.  Hopefully it is close enough to the same procedure as in the V manual.  Haven't been able to locate much info on the Magna yet.  I did happen to find a small forum (no way that it can be as great as this one though  ;D ;D ;D ).

Still looking around a Haynes manual.  Dennis Kirk probably has then, although fleabay didn't seem to.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Rick G

dj , while your in there and have the wheel off , be sure to grease the axel befor you put it back,  also grease the drive splines  as well.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

you probably have a couple of brake bar bolts similar to the Visions, inspect/replace those too..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Thats a good idea , but Hondas hardware is a lot better than Yamaha's
Rick G

Tiger

:) They are still 25 year old stressed fastener's... ::) so, for safety sake, change them out... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kevin

When you take the rear wheel off, the brake shoe pivot needs to be removed from the brake hub and cleaned up and greased. This is the most common problem with drum brakes.