News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

4.00 gas prices.

Started by Brian Moffet, April 18, 2008, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 20, 2008, 03:42:22 AM
BTW, I wonder if anybody has tried to findout if a motorcycle motor can be made to rum on diesel or propane?

Diesel, jet fuel, propane all have a much lower octane rating than gasoline (will ignite at much lower temperatures/pressures.  If you were to use these in a current gasoline engine, you would get sever pre-detonation, probably destroying the engine quickly.

Brian

vadasz1

I didn't mean to be used in the same engine but an engine specifically designed for diesel.

BTW propane can be run on an ordinary combustion engine with afew modifications.  Look at all the taxis that are converted to propane.  The only thing I see that might be a problem is to get a tank designed to fit a motorcycle that can hold propane.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Brian Moffet

Ah my mistake... :-)  I've met quite a few people who think that if they add Jet fuel to their car, it will perform better....  When a small amount of Jet fuel was added to the 100LL at Watsonville airport around 1994, the fuel company had to pay for all of the airplanes that fueled up to have their engines rebuilt.  My plane was one of them.  Unfortunately, that was during a very large airshow, and they had a lot of plane engines to deal with. 

I'd hate to see the cost on rebuilding a Merlin V-12...

Brian

Rick G

The US army has a fleet of diesel powered KLR650's  The engine is specially built from the ground up , for that purpose.  It will be available next year to the public , as well.
Arctic Cat  has a diesel powered  ATV. it has a Italian, Lamborghini 650cc (not the car people) twin .  Its slower than  a 150 cc gas rig ,but will climb anything at the same speed , it just doesn't slow down under load.  Polaris has a diesel too.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

williamruck

Alternate fuel motorcycle?  8)

Gas is getting kind of pricey here in the states, sure, but we are still paying less than a ot of other places. I spent a summer in Hamamatsu Japan and I was paying about 200 yen a liter, which comes to about 757 yen a gallon, with a currency trade rate (at the time mind you) of 123 yen per 1 USD, makes the gas I was buying $6.16 a gallon. I was driving a small bike at the time but it was still quite pricey. Mind you, Japan is an island nation that imports almost all of it's oil, but we are well on the way to paying $4 a gallon and higher. But that's life I guess, and I will probably keep paying it.  :-\

YellowJacket!

Everyone, BOYCOTT EXXON/Mobile.  Supply and demand.  If we buy it elsewhere reducing the demand from then, they will have to lower their prices to sell fuel.  C'mon...their profits have been in the BILLIONS of dollars at our expense.  Spread the word.  Just MAYBE it might work.  Couldn't hurt to try...unless any of you work for them.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Glyn

Premium 1.99 NZD here now. No signs of it ever going down either.

I hate these doomsday scenario sites, but PLEASE someone find something wrong with the arguements or logic in this site   www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net

Apologies for not being tech savy to put in the hyperlink.

If even some that stuff is true then the days of running any type of gas powered vehicle for recreational purposes is numbered. Better go and fill the XZ up and give it a good thrashing before it's too late.

vadasz1

Does anyone recall the movie starring Lee Majors who defied the city (whatever the name was) by driving around in a Porche TransAM racecar (if I remember right) with a kid.  They were trying to get to another city where using gasoline powered vehicles was not outlawed.  It was kind of a cheesy movie but showed what the future might be like....

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

vadasz1

OK....did an IMBD search and came up with THE LAST CHASE. 

Here's some info:

Overview
Director:Martyn Burke

Writers:C.R. O'Christopher (story)
C.R. O'Christopher (screenplay) ...
more
Release Date:5 June 1981 (Canada) more
Genre:Action / Adventure / Sci-Fi more
Tagline:A phantom jet must catch and destroy the last car left on earth. more
Plot Summary:In a future United States, the only transport available to an individual is public transportation. Predicated... more
Plot Synopsis:This plot synopsis is empty. Add a synopsis
Plot Keywords:Government / Dropout / Chase / Jet Fighter / Oppression more
User Comments:Six-Million Dollar Man goes cross country hunted by the guy who broke his glasses in the Twilight Zone more

Rick G

I fear that the powers the be ,will dip into the strategic reserve to control prices.Heaven help us if "they" have  the last oil and we have none!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

williamruck

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 21, 2008, 09:33:33 AM
OK....did an IMBD search and came up with THE LAST CHASE. 

Here's some info:

Overview
Director:Martyn Burke

Writers:C.R. O'Christopher (story)
C.R. O'Christopher (screenplay) ...
more
Release Date:5 June 1981 (Canada) more
Genre:Action / Adventure / Sci-Fi more
Tagline:A phantom jet must catch and destroy the last car left on earth. more
Plot Summary:In a future United States, the only transport available to an individual is public transportation. Predicated... more
Plot Synopsis:This plot synopsis is empty. Add a synopsis
Plot Keywords:Government / Dropout / Chase / Jet Fighter / Oppression more
User Comments:Six-Million Dollar Man goes cross country hunted by the guy who broke his glasses in the Twilight Zone more

;D I am going to find this movie

visionrevisit

I paid 4.49 for diesel last week end and am rebuilding my Vision starter to get my Vision running again after a month or so I get 38-40mpg in the Vision but 14 in the F350 diesel.   Gas is 3.92 for 87 in Western Washington.  I am appauled that we are allowing the futures traders to screw uis again this time for gas.   Last moth the diesel wa 3.95.

Glyn

Hey Coil

Where do you get your Bush Fan club icons from!

The thing is the world is running out of it's most important finite reserve. We'd better get used to pushing the Visions soon. No new refineries have been built for ages because of this. Now if the world would get rid of those huge SUV's it may just last a bit longer...

williamruck

You guys might be interested in this:

http://www.vbs.tv/shows.php?show=987200225

It is a set of short videos done by this online "journalism" group. Some of the videos are pretty funny, but then they have a lot of though provoking stuff. Anyways, this one "Toxic: Alberta" is about the oil industry in Canada.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on April 18, 2008, 09:07:48 PM
Gas is not getting more expensive; money is becoming worth less.

$0.02
"No price increase in 58 years!"
;D
Coil
The price of gasoline in Euro's (the price of their gas, not the added taxes they pay over there) has dropped 50%, the value of a US dollar has dropped from 1.20 Euro in 2002 to 0.62 Euro. Our gasoline prices are also being driven by both unregulated speculation in the crude oil markets and the fact that we are spending money we are borrowing to have a war that we are not taxing ourselves to pay for.

If the "terrorists" goal was to ruin us, they've got a real good start on doing it. Heads up, citizens!

I'm putting 2.5 gallons a week in the Vision for my commute at $4.30, plus I get the therapy value of the ride.

;)
Coil

Rick G

I'm doing my part, my gas sucking Blazer only moves to take us to the doctor or the grocery store.
Most of my travel is on my XL30 at 50/60 mpg . long distance is done on my Vision, at 40 / 50 mpg.
Rick G

dchakrab

Enfield made (and probably still makes) a diesel bike in India. I believe it was rated at 75 km / L, and would just about smoke a turtle on a good day. I do know that they're not legal to import into the US, though (not sure why...emissions?).

A lot of cars in India have switched to using natural gas cylinders instead of gas or diesel, for the cost savings. Not sure anyone's tried it with a bike (carb'ing would be screwy, since the cylinders are pressurized).

I saw an article for a completely quiet (and therefore dangerous) prototype electric bike developed in the UK...wonder if those will ever be enough fun to actually ride?

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

treedragon

For a while now I have been adding acetone to my fuel at the rate of around 1ml per litre.

The mileage consistently increases by around 18- 20%, "sport" riding somewhat less at around 15-16% improved mileage. This idea has been around for a very long time now, is well proven, with quite a bit of info available on the net if you care to look. Apparently it does not increase the "power" of the fuel but breaks down the surface tension of the fuel and thus better burning, anyone who has seen the fire hose of fuel that the xz squirts at a twist.... will see the advantages of this.

When I initially tried it I did the same 101k circuit of mixed terrain several times with the first two runs being under the exact same conditions, riding style etc etc. The results were always centered within the 18% - 20% of increased mileage. The ride with the Ducati boys last weekend.......... well that's when it dived a tad.

It is safe (but don't take my word for it), cheap, readily, available and such substantial increase for a tiny amount added. If I don't add it I lose 50 something k's of range per tank!

macroars

Well, I am paying about $10 per gallon in Norway. The prices are almost the same in Sweden.

But: My Volkswagen EuroVan, a 2000 kilo heavy car with a 2.5 litre TDI engine spend 40-45 miles per gallon.

Hence, I am paying almost the same as Visionrevisit per mile, although the gas price are two and a half time those in US...

All I can say, is that milage per gallon was an issue when I bought my car, and has been in Norway for a long long time.

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Superfly

A Friend of mine sent me this pic.... ouch

:o
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.