4.00 gas prices.

Started by Brian Moffet, April 18, 2008, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Bicycle, 10 miles per donut...

h2olawyer

If I'm operating a manual pedal machine, I'd figure on 10 donuts per mile.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

joevacc

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 25, 2008, 01:24:22 PM
If I'm operating a manual pedal machine, I'd figure on 10 donuts per mile.   :D

H2O

At the cost of ten donuts per mile!!!!!!!!!!  :o :o :o

Man that's too much.   :P  You are better off sitting in your cage with a nice hot cup of  I Don't give a kcuf!!!    ;D
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

h2olawyer

Just my way of saying I don't manually pedal anywhere.   ;D  There was a time I actually enjoyed it enough to ride a ton.  Even entered a triathlon once.  Unfortunately, while training for it, I hit a patch of sand on the road in a turn and did a slide for life deal.  Tore up my thigh real good & a rock went about 3/4 inch into my right elbow.  That was one week before the race & I was under doc's orders not to get the road rash or elbow wet for at least two weeks.  I still have three black stripes on my right thigh & that crash happened about 25 years ago.   ::)  I pretty much quit riding after that experience.  Bought the V the following summer.  I'd be amazed if I put more than a mile on a bicycle since then.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

joevacc

My wife is a triathlete.  Not me. :-\  The last time I ran anywhere I was being chased!

I did do a stint of mountain biking for a few years...   I liked it but that is rough on the old body and I managed to re fracture an old broken collar bone that I broke in a motorcycle crash I had many years ago.  (don't worry it wasn't my V,  it was my brothers new Virago!)  ;D

My wife is doing a race this weekend and all I can think about it is how I can ride my motor bike to it!  8)

My wife's friend's husband and I support them though...  We cheer them on with bloody mary's vodka- tonic's and lawn chairs!!! 8)
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Walt_M.

Bicycles on the highway waste fuel! Every car that passes one has to slow down, move over and speed back up. If bicyclists want their own roads, let them be licensed and taxed to pay for them. I do have a couple of bicycles but when I ride, I try to stay out of the way.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

If I ever get back into bicycling, I'll haul a mountain bike up to the trails.  The idiots  on bicycles around here pay absolutely no attention to traffic laws or even traffic.  I often run into packs of them taking up the entire land & then get flipped off when I finally find a safe place to pass legally.

The way they don't even stop for stoplights around here (stop signs also don't exist for pedalers), I'm amazed there aren't more fatalities.  There are several every year, but with the sheer volume of bicycles here (Colorado State University is 5 blocks from my house -- 25,000 students), I see all kinds of extremely dangerous riding.  Often, I see them late at night, at the last second, no lights, no reflectors, talking on their cell phone & cruising through stop signs without slowing down or even looking either direction.  Young & invincible.   ::)

H2O

Night Vision

in Eeeeurope... bikes have their own lanes, traffic signals, and now are require to be insured... guess they were causing too many accidents
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

macroars

Quote from: Night Vision on June 25, 2008, 08:47:38 PM
in Eeeeurope... bikes have their own lanes, traffic signals, and now are require to be insured... guess they were causing too many accidents

...and I have heard that in the US all roads have six lanes...
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Brian Moffet

It's not true.  Though many of the roads that do have 6 lanes are usually not moving much...

QBS

It's not unusual for Interstate Highways in major urban areas have 10 to 12 lanes.  Interstates between urban areas are usually 4 lanes.

macroars

Thanks for making my point very clear Brian and QBS!

The way traffic in the European countries are handled are very diverse. This includes bikes - but what we have in common is older cities, and hence with important passages made to fit people walking or by horse. This is infrastructure that is hard to change, without demolishing greater parts of the city - something that is impossible due to the historical value of the buildings.

This have made gas-prices an important tool in regulating the behaviour of people in Europe. It has to be both cheaper and easier to not use the car if people not should do it.

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

glennw

$ 4.77 for regular here in Santa Barbara.

I'm real happy for you if you still ride a bicycle..
Me.. once I got a motorcycle at age 13 I lost all interest
in the leg work.

And now that I'm old an overweight..
I really don't want to wear spandex to be cool.

I have noted here on my 30 mile trip to work
that the people seem to park in the fast lane at 65
in there little econo boxes.. and maybe there heart is
in a good place.. but there head is up there a$$.

I'm not a very good person as all my toys require gas..
Oh the shame of it all..

WELL I'm tired of all these GREEN
people.. who are so full of themselfs.. and there new ECO
profits!

Do we want to be out friends overseas.. over taxed..
with the govenment in control of EVERYTHING.. I think not..

My .02

Half Mad Max

GT @ oh.

What country are you living in ?...... the goverment does control everything...... or should I say the rich who control the goverment control everything......soon gas will be unaffordable for everyone but the wealthy.....the goverment is so corrupt its sickening.....a for instance.... my parents are at retirement age now collecting social security both have worked and paid into s.s. their whole life .....but if something happens to one of them..... the other can only collect one or the others s.s. payment....meaning the other is lost to the system :o .....and the other has to now live on one payment instead of the two they should get...how the hell is that fair it was their money......in my wifes country.... one of the smallest countries in the world...a island the size of the smallest county you could think of.... population 4+million..... with no real natural resources....the money paid into s.s. is always yours....it can be used to buy homes.... or medical for anyone in your family....and medical expenses are not gonna bankrupt you like it does here.....and you get it all !!!! when you turn 60!!! not 65 or soon 68 or even 70 which they are talking about doing already.....I could go on and on how our goverment screws its people double dipping taxes,giving money thats not theirs to other countries which then mysteriously dissappears never to be seen again,gunning down their own citizens during protests.......if you believe all the crap the U.S.gov. controled media shovels at us..... you probably believe we are in Afganistan...... looking for Osama and fighting a war on drugs..... and not what former cia agents have devulged..... that its to control the regions people so they can run a pipeline thru the country.... yes oil..... I'm sooo afraid.... of those poor people on the other side of the planet..... but not the criminals roaming our own streets.... or the ones in jail that we have to take care of the rest of their lives.....Its funny how most americans follow blindly what is told to them by the U.S.gov. and loathe middle easterners,muslims,chinese,communists,...and call themselves loyal american christians.......well guess what Jesus was a middle easterner who was against the control of the establishment over people,and the chinese are not in a war every 5 years, and our democatic gov. has as much control over this country as a communist gov. only in different ways.I know some are thinking "then get out of this country if you feel that way" what I'd say to them is... the country itself is a great place to live the people here are more open and sociable then eslewhere its the U.S.gov. that gives our country a bad name and should leave.If you think I am blowing things out of proportion look how they treated and lied to the native americans.... but I suppose they should leave their country too.

kwells

cheap gasoline is not a right given to you by the constitution.  It is, sorry to say, a luxury any way you slice it.  Don't count on it getting cheaper and make proper adjustments to accommodate this fact.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

GT @ oh.

By no means a right but just another tool used by those in control to control

zore

Just my 2 cents, if another 50 cents per gallon keeps some soccer mom with a cell phone attached to her face out of an excursion and into something I can actually see around, I'm all for it.  Since the gas prices have been going up, the traffic conditions have much improved in my neck of the woods.  I look at it as money well spent if I don't have to stare at brake lights for 2 hours while going to work.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

In general, no change in traffic around here.  Still going way over the speed limit, I-25 is possibly even more crowded between here & Denver & it's all pickups & SUVs.

Government is a vast left wing conspiracy!   ;)

H2O

Night Vision

dare I say it?

lower the speed limit back to 55 mph like Nixon did in '74

'course that would need some enforcement too
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiwibum

LOL, funny reading this. I was saying a while ago you guys in the US will be looking to fit Euro gearing in your bikes once gas reaches $4/gallon. It's over $4 here in Panama and as others have said it's gone up 35cents/lt ($1.20/G) in the last 4-5months in New Zealand since I left. Diesel is more that regular there too. Put it up I say, $10/Gallon will help start getting people to think twice about using their cars and may help reduce the load on the environment a bit more. Because of the over use of cars in developed nations we have a very large ozone hole over NZ causing the highest counts of skin cancer along with Australia than any other country. For every American that revs their engine a small child in NZ dies of melanoma >:(

Can't wait till I'm rich enough to develop a decent electric motorcycle and enjoy the real freedom of low down power.

Enjoy your bikes while you can, one day you might be telling your grand children about these once mighty animals that tore up the roads.
Steve