A Vision in the north of Sweden - experience so far

Started by Perus, April 22, 2008, 03:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perus

Hi!

Experience so far, at first a little bit tricky to start but I've now learnt the way she likes to be started, partial choke (in 5 degrees C), one or two twists and she starts :)
Yesterday I ran out of gas with petcock in "Prime" mode :( It was "sort of" planned (yeah right ;) ) to check the MPG figures which was 58 MPG at this time.

I've read the cons regarding the petcock but in this case it might be that the previous owner have left it in "Prime" mode - for a long time (my theory).
After refueling both mode "On" and "Res" works as supposed to.

Planned actions (near future):
* Change oil+filter - changed last year 1750 miles ago - should have been changed prior to this season
* Add fuel filter

Future actions:
* Check valve clearance - as a precaution
* Replace fork seals (one seal is leaking a little bit - I was told by the previous owner)

Br,
Per

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

motorcyclezen

Perus,

Yeah--ditto the brake bar bolts. I pulled mine as precaution via Lucky and found some serious corrosion. I also noticed that the cotter pins were missing. Replaced, re-torqued, and re-pinned. I'm also experimenting with a coat of some "setting" chain lube on the bolts to keep them from corroding again.

Mine starts the same: a little choke, two twists, and va-ROOM!

Enjoy your machine.

BTW, had a bison burger Swenska at my local DC restaurant last night. Are there bison in Sweden?

Ed--

Perus

Quote from: motorcyclezen on April 26, 2008, 11:36:22 AM
Perus,

Yeah--ditto the brake bar bolts. I pulled mine as precaution via Lucky and found some serious corrosion. I also noticed that the cotter pins were missing. Replaced, re-torqued, and re-pinned. I'm also experimenting with a coat of some "setting" chain lube on the bolts to keep them from corroding again.

Mine starts the same: a little choke, two twists, and va-ROOM!

Enjoy your machine.

BTW, had a bison burger Swenska at my local DC restaurant last night. Are there bison in Sweden?

Ed--
I'm not aware of any bisons in Sweden :D

Perus

Update:

Found a wrongly routed/damaged wire for the "clutch-bypass-gear" starter function, repaired it and now I'm able to
start even when in gear :)
Lubricated the steering bearings with high pressure grease - now it feels easier in sharp corners :)

The left fork seal is leaking :'( - I'm not very found of starting up a new time consuming repair task, just wanna ride ;)

Br,
Per

Perus

Hi!

No photos in this post, updated my todo-list as follows;

1. Check/replace rear brake bar bolts - done
(ride)
2. Weld/repair broken frame issue – done w/o welding (see post "Broken frame...")
(ride)
3. Clean/repair petcock to fix non-working reserve issue
(ride)
4. Replace seals on left fork
(ride)
5. Seal up the exhaust between rear cylinder and collector
(ride)
6. Synch carbs with the two-bottle method http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_synchronize_the_carburetors%3F
(ride)
7. Check/replace the starter clutch bolts
(ride even more) :D

The only thing missing is time, longing for vacation now ;)

Br,
Per

h2olawyer

Just a couple notes:

Your petcock may be missing the internal 'filter'.  It is a plastic oval shaped tube that attaches to the top of the petcock & extends up into the tank.  The 'filter' has two separate openings into the petcock.  The screen area for the reserve side starts lower than the screen area for the ON side.  (helps to have the part in hand to understand)

You might as well do both fork seals.  While you have your Vision disassembled to do one, it wouldn't take much longer to do the other as well.  Then you should not have to worry about them for several years.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Perus

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 22, 2008, 03:49:04 PM
Just a couple notes:

Your petcock may be missing the internal 'filter'.  It is a plastic oval shaped tube that attaches to the top of the petcock & extends up into the tank.  The 'filter' has two separate openings into the petcock.  The screen area for the reserve side starts lower than the screen area for the ON side.  (helps to have the part in hand to understand)

You might as well do both fork seals.  While you have your Vision disassembled to do one, it wouldn't take much longer to do the other as well.  Then you should not have to worry about them for several years.

H2O
Thanks for the info, do you have any photos of the internal filter?

/Per

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.