bought '82 Vision, mistake???

Started by k1mc0r, April 24, 2008, 11:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k1mc0r

I was looking for a bike for my wife and bought two bikes in two days, a '96 XJ600S and an '82 Vision.  The Seca runs great and my wife loves it, except for the stiff clutch.

The Vision has low miles (9000) and, after tearing into it, all of the major mechanicals look to be in good shape.  But it has a lot of oxidation everywhere, a ripped seat, and is generally ugly.

What do I do with this bike?  I haven't gotten it running yet, but at the bare minimum it needs a battery, rear tire, clutch cable, seat cover, lots of cleaning and paint, and other odds and ends.  It doesn't appear profitable to fix it up and sell it.  What would it be worth? again keeping in mind that even after I get it done it won't be cherry.

I'm definitely keeping my '95 Concours for myself, so 1)keep it as a third bike, 2)sell it as is, 3)get it running and sell it, 4)get it running and maybe my wife will like it better than her Seca?

Thanks in advance...

YellowJacket!

Get it running....you'll love it.  You should see pictures of what mine looked like when I got it.  A little elbow grease can work wonders....oh, and some cash too.

Welcome to ROV.  You'll find all the answers you need here.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

The Vision, which was a middleweight bike , when it was built , is now a beginners /woman's bike . Except for us die hards around here.
Very few of the old Visions  were cherry when found , but with a  little love and attention most are really nice . Look in the gallery and you will see some really nice restorations . Prices on decent , running Visions , is slowly creeping up . Theres a super nice , low mileage , '82 on eBay  thats at 1500.00 right now and its nor perfect.
As to your wife's clutch pull problem , get a  "Clutch easy"  it a leverage multiplier . I have arthritis and use one.
It doesn't take that much to clean up a Vision and bring it up to riding condition .  Go through the archives  and you will get a feel for the work involved , but remember  not all of it has to be done at once!
Welcome aboard   :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

If you want some good before and after pics, check out my blog at : http://xz550vision.spaces.live.com/

Lots of good before and after pics to give you an ide of the potential.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

k1mc0r

David,

Your bike does look great.  I checked out the pictures earlier, and I must say that mine is much further gone than yours was.  It spent four years outside on the Oregon coast!  The oxidation on the aluminum is especially unsightly.

However, I will see it through to at least getting it running.  I do enjoy projects, and if I really like it, I may try to get a fairing for it and fix it up nice.

I'm sure I'll be back up here at times with other specific questions and I'll let you know how things are going.

For now, where's the best place to get a clutch cable, cheap and fast?  BikeBandit had them for about $24.  Does anyone recommend them (or not)?

Kraig

Rick G

Hi Kraig,  Cables seem to be problem , Motion Pro didn't list throttle or clutch cables In the 07 spring catalog, I don't believe Bike Bandit carries  anything for the vision, anymore.  I'll make some recommendations later this evening , I'll have to look them up.
You might try  a yamaha dealer , but they will have to order it and it won't be fast!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tben

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

k1mc0r

Thank you, tben.  Parts ordered, good prices and shipping rates.

tben

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

h2olawyer

You made a HUGE mistake.  The Vision is a cantankerous, fragile, piece of  . . . wonderful machinery.   ;)  Seriously, once you get a chance to feel the wide, useable power from the engine, you will see why we all like these bikes so much.  Most things surrounding the engine are not the greatest quality, but all the important stuff can be easily improved.  I've owned my 82 since 1984 (bought new as a dealer leftover).  It has suffered through a few extended periods of improper storage, but I like it more today than the day I bought it.

The real benefit of the Vision is this site & all the great people here.  Good luck getting yours running again.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Thanks Tben , that was one I was trying to remember.
Rick G

tben

Quote from: h2olawyer on April 25, 2008, 03:27:53 PM
You made a HUGE mistake.  The Vision is a cantankerous, fragile, piece of  . . . wonderful machinery.   ;) 

The real benefit of the Vision is this site & all the great people here.  Good luck getting yours running again.

H2O

Well said. ;D

Rick, I just have 42 fewer years of memories in the way. ;)
-Joseph Addison

Scott_Mc

Quote from: Rick G on April 24, 2008, 05:48:20 PM
The Vision, which was a middleweight bike , when it was built , is now a beginners /woman's bike . Except for us die hards around here..... 

Begginer or intermediate I'll buy, not sure though if I'd say it's a woman's bike.  Unless she's a big girl :o
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

Rick G

I agree , but I can't tell you how many times someone has said , he was getting a vision for his wife .  I started on a 50 cc Allstate Mophead  (moped)  and worked my way up.  3 rd bike was borrowed 3TA Triumph, (350cc twin)  and I promptly  rode it off of a cliff, on highway 39 above Azusa , CA.  I was in over my head!  Didn't help that the brake and shifter were on opposite sides, from what I was used to
Rick G

h2olawyer

I think a 250 makes a fantastic learner bike.  I'd be in full favorof a graduated license system like much of Europe has.  Start on a small displacement bike for a certain number of miles or months, then move up to the larger bike.  These days, you can pick up a 250 Nighthawk or similar for about $1800, ride it for a season, then turn around & sell it for the same price.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

The only problem with that is that there are a fair number of 250 cc motorcycles that will out-power a beginning rider...  I don't think it makes sense to do a graded system based on displacement.

Brian

Rick G

Most modern 15 ci.  street bikes are pretty gutless , and make good learners. My daughter took her riders course in OR. on a 250 Honda.
The two stroke 250's of yesteryear  were far more potent , compared to the street slugs of today.
Rick G

h2olawyer

When I took the MSF beginner course a couple years ago, I thought it was great to be on such a small bike to relearn the basics.  It's really less about power & more about the controllability.  I can do walking speed lock to lock 8s on the Vision, but it's a whole bunch easier on a small bike.

H2O

Rick G

I took my first motorcycle licence,  road test in I think 1971 or '72, on a CB750 Honda,I just stopped in at DMV while on a test ride.
Back then I could ride the thing like a trials bike! :o :o :o :o Now my knees don't let me do trials riding!
Rick G

Rick G

MN limits what you are licenced for , by what you take the test on, so you had best take at least a 500 , or your stuck on a small bike.
Rick G