News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

bought '82 Vision, mistake???

Started by k1mc0r, April 24, 2008, 11:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rick G on April 30, 2008, 12:10:25 AM
Most modern 15 ci.  street bikes are pretty gutless , and make good learners.

That 250cc Ninja looks like it would get people into more problems than my Vision would...  40 hp for 350 pounds I think puts it at better than the Vision in terms of HP to weight.

Brian

k1mc0r

Seems the thread is now about beginning bikes and riders and women riders?

I still don't know what my wife (or I) will think of the Vision as neither of use has ridden it.  It is now torn down pretty well in the garage waiting for parts.

She is 5' 5" and seems to fit her 600cc Seca fairly well.  She first learned on my old '81 GoldWing, which, although heavy, was very stable and balanced with a fairly low seat height.  We've been doing some short trips and parking lot exercises, and she will be taking the beginner's course this summer.  In Oregon you can get a Motorcycle Learner's permit, which allows her to ride her own bike as long as I am with her on another bike.

While I'm waiting for parts, can someone give me some hints for reconditioning the front brakes?  The brake fluid in the master cylinder was gel and the caliper was stuck.

Walt_M.

Yamaha still has rebuild kits available for the master cylinder and caliper. Disassemble and clean with brake cleaner. You can usually get a stuck piston out of the caliper with an air compressor. Just make sure the piston is pointed away from you and into some rags to catch it as they can come out in a hurry.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Walt_M. on April 30, 2008, 12:55:03 PM
You can usually get a stuck piston out of the caliper with an air compressor.

I'd recommend a grease gun, the grease won't compress and the piston will come out a lot slower...  Much less like a projectile   :o

Brian

Night Vision

or just use the brake fluid in the master to pump it out... just make sure you keep it full when pumping..... lots less to clean up...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on April 30, 2008, 12:10:25 AM

The two stroke 250's of yesteryear were far more potent , compared to the street slugs of today.

word!
just ask my "250 Pursang" collar bone.... what are the odds of riding all the way across an open field on the rear wheel... only to set down into a woodchuck hole?

pretty good, I guess  :P

stupid woodchuck >:(
;D

Rick G

All I do to prevent caliper pistons from going into orbit, is to place large, square shank screw driver, or a 7 inch tyre iron across the piston, limiting its travel. Then hit it with the air.  I don't really care for petroleum grease in the brake system.

I'll see your woodchuck hole and raise you a mine shaft!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I put a Yamaha Yl2c into a mine shaft , once  (once was enough!!) 
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rick G on May 01, 2008, 12:35:47 AM
I don't really care for petroleum grease in the brake system.

The brake cleaner will take care of that!  ;D

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on May 01, 2008, 12:35:47 AM

I'll see your woodchuck hole and raise you a mine shaft!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'll fold  :-\
;D

ps2/bikevision

QuoteI'll see your woodchuck hole and raise you a mine shaft!!         

ill bump you a brand new (just brought home from stealership) 88 yz125, into a well pipe, busting the engine case wide open. sending me into a barn wall.