Main Menu

Tyre type question

Started by Stuman, April 28, 2008, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuman

Hi, today my front tyre blew off on the highway and i was riding with high speed. That was a verry bad experience. :-\ Thank god i am ok, i manage to avoid the accident.  :-[
Is it possible to make my tyres from tube type to tubeless??  ???

kwells

most are running tubeless with the OEM rims...Do you have a wire spoked rim by chance?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Serch

Tire TubeLess on rim TubeType???

How??
Excuse my poor english. I'm spanish!!

h2olawyer

In the US (and probably Canada) the rims are tubeless type.  There may be some silly Euro requirement for tube type tyres with these rims.  Probably a safety thing.  I know many euro sports cars ran tube type tyres while the same car with identical looking rims (both steel & aluminum) ran tubeless in the US.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

macroars

Quote from: kwells on April 28, 2008, 04:54:24 PM
most are running tubeless with the OEM rims...Do you have a wire spoked rim by chance?
My bike-shop-guy, which have been in business since mid 70 told me that he would not rode tubeless on the OEM rims on front wheel. The reason is that the OEM rims have straight edges and not are bent inwards at the top like they should have been to wear tubeless tires safely. This he argued are of great importance if the tire pressure decreases gradually, then the tire can slip  of the rim more easily during braking and/or when turning.

My conclusion: tube in front wheel, tubeless rear.

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

treedragon

Hmmm assuming that they are standard rims.....

The reason I always go for tubeless
- if there is a decrease in pressure from a puncture or whatever it will likely be slow, this is good.
- You feel it in the handling and then be able to do something about it. Has happened to me a few times over the years.
- Punctures/blowouts in tubed a tyre........... well you know what happens

Slow decrease gives you a chance, blowouts don't for the most part.

Correct tyre pressures are an easy thing to maintain and pressure increases as the tyre warms up, if there is a problem you will feel it long before any "slippage".

ps2/bikevision

i never had a problem with the front tire coming off. i had a belt brake in the front tire a few years back and had to ride it to the shop to get a new tire. it held together for about a mile to the shop. Ive also rode with the tire almost flat to the gas station when my compressor was broke. didn't have a problem with tire coming off either. my brother is a Ducati mechanic and also races them, hes the one that changed my tires and didn't say a thing about the rim not holding a tire properly. id ditch the tube and run it the way it was designed.

Rick G

I'll pass on the tube , there a pita !! I rode a partially flat rear tyre 100 miles to get home. I kept pumping it up but , it leaked down to 15lbs continually.  It stayed on the rim , of course I was riding at 20 mph , so it took a life time to get home. :P :P
Early  tubeless Honda's  had  a wheel called a "comstar"  The rim was extruded aluminum  and  the spokes were steel , riveted in place.  Word was that Honda wasn't happy , with cast wheels because they leaked. Nobody else's leaked and eventually Honda got over it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike