where do i start

Started by 123red82, April 27, 2008, 12:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123red82

i just dipped the carbs and now i am at a loss of what to do it starts idles some times the idle surges then dies where do i start when tuning

Walt_M.

I know you don't want to hear this but, dip the carbs again! How far did you disassemble them last time? The farther you go, the better. Most people do them at least 3 times before they are able to do any meaningful tuning. There are a lot of passages to clear and one dip will not do it. If you just leave them in the dip too long thinking that more is better, you will probably just destroy the throttle shaft seals and have more problems.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

don't re-dip untill you have set the synq & pilot screws...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Not to be contradictory but, I dip them once, and they are ready to tune.  But there are some tricks to it (as Lucky will tell you)  that insure a clean carb, on the first dip.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Practice makes perfect.  I had to dip mine three times to get them clean.  When I did the ones on Tractor last Spring, it only took one dip.  The difference?  An air compressor!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

yup...blow those passages out...
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Also test the validity of all passeges, with a can of carb spray , some passages have multipal paths , so spray and make sure its coming out of all the correct  openings.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Hmmmm - advice about Vision carbs from Vision experts sounds remarkably similar to advice from a Urologist . . ..   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Boy, I don't want a urologist squirting carb spray into any of my passages , to see where it will come out!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Rick G