"Cage" licence fee's...

Started by Tiger, May 04, 2008, 07:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:o So, you think WE pay to much to licence our "cage's"...See what is going on in Britain :o This is an exert from a British newspaper article that I was reading this morning...

...The increases are being introduced in two stages, with many owners who are now paying £210.00, ($421.78 Cdn), a year,... being charged £300.00, ($602.54Cdn !!), in 2009 and up to £455.00, ($913.85 Cdn !!), in 2010... :o :o :o

...AND they are paying nearly twice the price for gas that we pay... :o :o :o

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Ouch.

Depends on where you live down here on how much you pay.  We pay $60.00 and a "wheel tax" for anything above 4 wheels. (makes me wonder why my car costs as much as my 2 -wheel'd V).  Some states make you pay your sales tax at the time of registrtion which adds to what you are paying to register.  My step sons dad now wishes he paid child support every month rather than spend it on a $47,000.00 truck!!  He gets killed every year when he has to pay taxes on it. (dumb A$$).

In the end, we are all getting screwed and will be walking.  I only have on car payment (two of our 3 are paid off)but my gas bill for three cars totals as much, if not more than another car...and its gonna get worse.  Looking more and more like YJ will soon be my primary source of transportation.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

No car payments here - everything paid by cash - I refuse to pay interest on a depreciating asset.  When I was making money, I'd try to make a monthly payment to a mutual fund in the amount of a car payment.  Then after a few years, I could go pay cash for my vehicle.  Haven't been able to do that for a while, so I'm still driving my old Ford.

Sales tax is collected here in a couple ways.  If you buy from a dealer, they collect most of the taxes - except the county portion of the sales tax.  There is a yearly ownership tax ($3.00 each for my Vs & my pickup) My V registration is $15 total per year.  My pickup is $17.  Colorado is about to try and pass legislation making the yearly minimum $75.  However, all vehicles currently at their low levels will remain 'grandfathered in' and exempt from the new rates.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I guess, I could be worse off, My '93 S10 blazer is 33.00 a year and my '76 Dodge adventurer ,pickup is 19.00 per year (registration only, it isn't licenced  yet , because I can't afford to insure two vehicles)
Of course I'm driving obsolete junque, but with gas prices what they are, I only drive the blazer 2000, miles a year . Unless I'm going to the grocery store or taking my wife to the doctor ,it doesn't move.
Even when I was making good money ,in MN, I drove 9 and 10 year old vehicles. I just can't bring my self to spend serious money on something, not only worth less  every year , but  that looses thousands the day I drive it off the lot.
I'm glad I had the foresight to buy every cheap vision I came across.That old bike has been sole transportation ,and the only affordable transportation, more that once.

Tiger , I expect that you will see many more compatriots, moving to the "colonies" as time goes on.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Aelwulf

Being Florida resident still both the bikes are $24 a year and the truck should be about $75 I'd guess due to weight (unless I luck out with it being a private one then it's $46).  The Duster was $55 but that was with a personalized plate.  They have $100 new wheels tax but I can waiver that being military assigned out of state.  I didn't have to pay sales tax since I had it more than six months when I finally registered the Visionor the truck, and won't on the Meanie since I paid California sales tax which is higher than Florida's (7.25 vs 6) so they consider it paid.  It's still a pain doing it remotely but once it's done it'll make things a lot easier paying for all three at once online every year.

Truck's paid off in a year or less and I'd be surprised if the Meanie's loan lasted more than three years.  Gas prices are partly what drove me to get the Meanie (aside from just wantin' one lol) although once the last items are taken care of on the Vision it'll probably become more my daily rider since it gets a bit better mileage (40-49 vs 30-35 on the Meanie).

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

My tag comes up for renewal in a month. Im going with the vanity plate and will pay the extra fee. My choices are:

82XZ550

YELOJKT (first choice, of course)

XZ550RJ

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 08, 2008, 09:45:21 AM
My tag comes up for renewal in a month. Im going with the vanity plate and will pay the extra fee. My choices are:

82XZ550

YELOJKT (first choice, of course)

XZ550RJ

David

I'm surprised David is available... went to a dinner meeting last nite and three out of six men seated at the table were named David.... it's a fairly popular name.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Night, your a hoot!  But remember , everyone loves a piece of A** no one loves a smart a**. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike