whos online that can help me fix my computer

Started by ps2/bikevision, April 29, 2008, 11:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Well, my math skills are about on par with those who never learned how to properly read and write the english language.  I was a solid B student through high school, but got Ds in algebra & geometry.  English classes were never less than an A.  Writing has always come very easy for me.  On this forum, I generally write with no proofreading - except for when I know my fingers hit the wrong keys.

My brother had difficulties learning to read.  He was 5.5 years older than me.  When he was held back in first grade, he would come home from school and try to teach me what he was learning.  I could read & write at age 3.  Drove my parents absolutely nuts when we were on road trips.  I could point out any dime store or fast food joint - & call it by the right name.  Started in on the Hardy Boys series in first grade & read lots of sci-fi books when I was in 4th - 5th grade.  However, reading law books is pure torture.  Legalese is a language unto itself!  Judges would do well to learn how to write in english.  I can't recall the case - or even what subject it was in - but one opinion I read had a sentence with a quintuple negative!  :o  (Odd number of negatives mean it's negative - even number is positive.)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tanno

Quote from: Brian Moffet on May 02, 2008, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: Tanno on May 02, 2008, 06:45:58 PM
It's really y'all's.

I know, I was yanking his leg  ;D

And I'm not biteing my nails when someone types something wrong, either. I'm guilty of it too, ya know.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

YellowJacket!

I just now recently got into "texting".  Mostly between my wife and I, but also between my kids and co workers.  At work we use a text paging system that relies on sending an email from a portable work station through an exchange server which **eventually** ends up on our text pagers.  So, we took mattters into our own hands and decided that since most of us have unlimited texting, we would do that since it was quicker.
Well, ket me tell y'all; texting is a horrible influence on the english language.  Words are butchered, abbreviated and truncated into oblivion just to keep it under the 160 character limit.
I also browse around on a few computer sites and there it is horrible.  Don't know if people are posting from their phones or ina perpetual state of text-mind, but it gets to be downright unreadable.
Spelling and grammar here are leaps and bounds ahead of some other sites I frequent.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ps2/bikevision

Rick G

Personally I think this texting is an abomination to the English language. Why would I want to go to all the trouble to peck out a message  when I'm holding a phone in my hand , and can call the person and actually talk to them?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tanno

My guess is that you wouldn't in a meeting, watching a movie, or taking a test. That's where most of the whipper-snappers do it.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

macroars

Scandinavia has been on the top of SMS-usage for many years. I believe that they can be categorised in three piles:

- You want to say or ask someone something that not is important enough to demand the attention from the other party just now.
- You are sending a postcard/email, like jokes or telling buddies about spotted police, birds or Visions
- You are sending URLs, phone numbers or part numbers or something else so that the other party can receive it exact without pen and paper.

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

YellowJacket!

My son called me last night to tell me that his GF's mothers laptop says HDD 0 Disk failure, please reinsert disk and try again.
Hmmmm...looks like Ill be replacing a hard disk on a laptop soon.

David

Tanno

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 04, 2008, 09:12:01 AM
My son called me last night to tell me that his GF's mothers laptop says HDD 0 Disk failure, please reinsert disk and try again.

David

Yes, it's a possibility.
Get into CMOS and see if the HDD is seen properly, then- open `er up and check the cable(s). Disconnect and Reconnect the HDD cable(s) 3 times. You never know, it might be revived then.

FDISK is a powerful tool. When you start FDISK and the menu is shown, the HDD is good in CMOS. Otherwise you would get "No Fixed Disk Present" and no menu.

You can get that much out of it no matter what OS is on it. If it's got a filesystem of anything other than FAT16 or FAT32, then FDISK can't do anything with the partitions, but it will show you that they are there as 'unknown'.

Anyway, I know you didn't ask, but I'm offering the help.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rick G on May 04, 2008, 12:01:09 AM
can call the person and actually talk to them?

For some things, it's cheaper.  My phone charges me .25 per minute for talking, .15 for a text.  Of course if they don't answer my text, advising me about breakfast and when they finally got in, then I'll call  ;D

Brian

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tanno on May 04, 2008, 02:45:30 PM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 04, 2008, 09:12:01 AM

David

Yes, it's a possibility.
Get into CMOS and see if the HDD is seen properly, then- open `er up and check the cable(s). Disconnect and Reconnect the HDD cable(s) 3 times. You never know, it might be revived then.

FDISK is a powerful tool. When you start FDISK and the menu is shown, the HDD is good in CMOS. Otherwise you would get "No Fixed Disk Present" and no menu.

You can get that much out of it no matter what OS is on it. If it's got a filesystem of anything other than FAT16 or FAT32, then FDISK can't do anything with the partitions, but it will show you that they are there as 'unknown'.

Anyway, I know you didn't ask, but I'm offering the help.

Thanks for the help offer.  ;D  I've owned a computer repair business for 14 years.  ;D  ;D

Laptops hosed.  She forgot to say that she also dropped it.  LCD hinge, LCD cover and corner of LCD are all cracked. (thrown in frustration....)  In any event, she went to staples and got a dual core 1 gig ram 100 gig hdd laptop for $400.00.
Much better than what she had the was over 5 years old.  ;D

David

YellowJacket!

oh, forgot to mention that the BIOS reported 0 fixed drives (auto detect) so the drive was hosed.  Could have pulled it and hooked it up to a USB connector and to my shop PC but she did'nt want to bother.

David

Brian Moffet

It's funny.  I know an incredible amount about computers, but almost nothing about Windows :-)

Brian

Lucky

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 04, 2008, 07:17:06 PM
Laptops hosed.  She forgot to say that she also dropped it.  LCD hinge, LCD cover and corner of LCD are all cracked. (thrown in frustration....)  In any event, she went to staples and got a dual core 1 gig ram 100 gig hdd laptop for $400.00.

David

bring it to my house..a little bondo, a little pain't some bailing wire...good as new!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on May 04, 2008, 09:21:43 PM
bring it to my house..a little bondo, a little pain't some bailing wire...good as new!

Yes, but will it have flames!   ;D

Brian (never knew my avatar would be so apropos...)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on May 04, 2008, 09:21:43 PM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 04, 2008, 07:17:06 PM

David

sorry....Jessica claimed dibbs first.  Bondo offer still good though?

;D

David

Lucky

oh, i don't need a laptop, i've got one i don't use now.. i just want to Visionize it, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tanno