News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

turn signal relay

Started by nvdranger, July 08, 2004, 10:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvdranger

my signals stop working last weekend after a flash rainstorm, guess shes not fully waterproof (who needs signals when you arm signals ;D lol).  i thought the switch was bad, tore it apart and cleaned it, no luck with that. i will replace b/c its a little tough to push every once in a while and just to make sure.  after i got my new rear tire on today i played with the wiring again and this time the signals worked.  i assume this is not a good thing, but the little relay behind the tci clicks.  when i push the switch over it (the relay) clicks serveral times very fast till the signals come on and will then click each time when the signal flashes.  it clicked very fast befor and didn't think any thing of it.  i have already cleaned the connections and grease them.  bad relay??  maybe got some water in there and shorted it out.

Ken

'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Lucky

I wrote a whole artical about cleaning the relays a few weeks ago, but I don't think anyone read it, lol..
http://www.ghetti.net/cgi-bin/ROVBB/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1087646809;start=0#0
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

i read it,,, grouchy  
   then i forgot almost every single word,, but did go back and read it
   just remember, every relay can and will go bad, and when they do, just replace with auto shop bosch design relays, they will work as well or better, with less guess work and a whole lot less cost motorcycle relays avg 19.00 to 60.00
  bosch 4 post less than 5 bucks , rated at 12v,40 amp
  bosch type 5 post(for lights and such ) 7 bucks
     just pay close attention to which wire does what and how a relay works, (read the diagram on top, follow the numbers)
 and relay problems can be solved. be aware, you will have to remove each wire from connector to make it work on the bosch relay, so waterproofing will be a must .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

ArrrGeee

good info Kia,
where do you source bosch relays?
possibly the same place I do.
in the past what I've done is hit the junkyard and grab a handful of nippondenso units from the first toyota or other jap car I find.
these units make good subs also and the diagram is usually printed right there on the housing. also, many times the connectors are the same so you can continue to use the plug although you may have to swap the wire arrangement.
one of these days I should put together a list of replacement relay part numbers...

rusty relays are quite common on these, I've been saying it for years.  while I have opened one up, I never bothered to try and repair it where you can get replacements cheap or mostly free... ;)

-Ron