News:

Main Menu

Is this normal?

Started by Sable, July 10, 2004, 08:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sable

Well, since I have been working on my V pretty regularly, one thing that I did not check was the YICS for leaks.
I noticed that while the bike was running (I was checking for vaccuum leaks), the oil window at the bottom of the engine case was completely empty :-/
Since I was done checking for leaks (later found out that YICS was leaking internally AND externally), I shut the bike down.
After taking the YICS chamber apart, I went outside to cap off the hoses for the box. I checked the oil level again at the bottom of the case and it was right where it should be, near the full line.

Is this normal  OR am I being paranoid?

hopefully it's the latter ;D

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

h2olawyer

Sable -

If that ain't normal, we both have problems!  As far as I know, everything's OK.  About 3,000 miles ago, I noticed mine did the same thing - even when slightly overfilled.  ::)  I think you're just being paranoid  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

I think that's normal for just about every bike in existance.  My friend has a newish SV650 and it does the same thing as well.  The procedure for checking oil level on his bike (at least after an oil and filter change) was to warm the bike to operating temps, then shut her off and let it cool for 5 minutes, then check the level in the window.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

kiawrench

it's ok Sable,,, oil has to move to work,, if you could see into your auto oil pan, you would see the same thing. always check oil after short warm up, on center stand and level ground.   just finish those graphics dude,, i wanna see !
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .