News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

this stupid bike

Started by Chivo1944, May 08, 2008, 01:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chivo1944

has just about become more trouble then its worth its runs decent i paint the gastank and put on a new exhaust and i have to jump start it with my truck for a while then even that wont start it and i have to push it around for a total of a mile to try to start it and it idles for a while then stalls if i dont have the idle speeed way up then i hit the gas and it stays at like 3 thousand for bit then drops down what the heck im about to dump it in the lake i dont know what to do any ideas
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

packman85

Just breathe, take it easy, we've ALL been there.  It sounds to me like your carbs are way the hell out of balance.  In fact Id be willing to bet money thats part of the problem because those are the exact symptoms my bike had.  First, set your mixture screws to 3 turns out on the rear and 5 on the front carb (if I have that reversed anyone feel free to correct me, I always seem to forget) some people do 2.5 and 4.5.  Next, the trick I do if you dont have a manometer or vacume gauge to get the ballance pretty close.  I took the connecting rod that connects the front and rear carb throttles to eachother and took it off.  now both trhottle valves are completely closed and even.  now adjust that connecting rod so it slides onto the throttles without opening one wider than the other.  start the bike and make minute adustments with the connecting rod to get the balance close..   Thats how Ive done it with my bike and It runs spot on. If you just search around the forum youll find everyone has a different way of balancing.  The best is with a manometer.  Best of luck, you will succeed.

Pax
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

Rick G

I have explained this to many new visionaries, and I'm going to explain it to you, now. Previous owners have gotten some of the "good "out of your vision, not all, just some, so you are going to have to put the "good" back into it. This will require some patience , because this is all new to you. If you stick with it you will learn a lot and end up with not only a great bike , that you will enjoy very much AND the skills to keep it running . You will be able to apply these skills  to  any bikes OR cars you own in the future. I started working on bikes when I was 19. I learned from others who had more knowledge than me and I've been learning ever since.

You do this one step at a time and soon, there will be a point when all the bugs are out of your bike and its ready to ride , but your not there yet. Aside from you carb sync problem , you seem to have a bad stator , and this will have to be replaced  before it will  charge the battery and be reliable.
If you want to truck it out here in the desert I'll help you with it . If you want to talk to me on the phone about it , let me know and I'll pm you my cell number.  OK?  its up to you, now.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

macroars

The judgement and conclusions of Packman85 seems entirely apt.

When you get it running; an easy and cheap way to sync your carbs are some clear hose and some two stroke oil (It is easy to see and does not damage anything if it gets sucked into the system). Connect hose to where the yics hoses are, and adjust the rod.

A pic of mine carb-sync-tool:

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Aelwulf

Aye, mine's a metal meter stick with clear tubing and transmission fluid.  Very first attempt all the fluid got sucked in the engine and didn't have to worry about skeeters much for a day or so but no problems with it.  Meter stick kind of helps with the fine-tune adjustments since I can actually compare lines it moves between.  I highly doubt my bike for one will ever be 100% tuned (least not in the near future) as the rod has a point where a nudge and it goes back, a flick and it goes over.  But it still works plenty well so not worried about a minor bit like that.  My bike sat for just over two years when I started, had a move out here coming up so broke down and paid someone to help out with it.  Wish I'd had time and patience to do everything he did myself first go-round but wasn't to be. :p Next round if there is one. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tiger

:) An object, like your Vision, cannot be stupid... ::)

There are NO short cut's to getting your Vision up and running... :o

Only time, patience and a few $$$ will get you there... 8) If you have none of these...sell your Vision mate!!!

In the three/four year's that I've been involved with Vision's, I've had seven through my hand's...three are standing in my garage, all roadworthy.
"The Mistress" stood for over six years, "The Canadian" for over ten year's, and Lucky #7, (my winter project), for over three year's!!! None came to me as up-and-running, roadworthy machine's.

As Rick mentioned, a certain amount of good has been taken out of our Vision's, its our job to put the good back in. However,  you must have time, patience and a few $$$ to get the best back out of your Vision...or like a few, you and your "V" will fall by the way side...

Take a deap breath marine and start again. When your not sure, let us know the symtom's and we will help you get there... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

just one correction to add.  Packman mentioned the mixture screws.  It should be the opposite.  3 turns out from lightly seated for the front mixture screw and 4.5 for the rear carb mixture screw.
One thing to consider too is that the macs are a bit more free flowing than the stock exhaust. I had to do a bit of tweaking once I changed mine over.
Although, I did have almost all my jets mixed up and backwards....but it still ran!!  Couldn't believe it but it did.
Another consideration, and I can't remember if it was you that mentioned it in an earlier post, is your charging system and battery.  If it is an old battery, its probably not any good and should be replaced.  Also, if your stator is shot, you'll have to replace it.  The combination of the two (bad battery and bad stator) will cause the bike to not run.
Hang in there, your getting colser.  It's well worth it when its done. (Thought that to myself while I spent the day yesterday riding mine)  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

packman85

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 08, 2008, 09:16:44 AM
just one correction to add.  Packman mentioned the mixture screws.  It should be the opposite.  3 turns out from lightly seated for the front mixture screw and 4.5 for the rear carb mixture screw.

Thanks David, I can never remember front from back. ;D
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"