Luckys Vision is dead! (NOT!!)

Started by Lucky, May 03, 2008, 09:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Rode it to work this a.m. in the rain (don't think that has any thing to do with it) it was fine.. i have noticed that it seemed to want to cut out once once or twice the last couple couple of days, but haven't yet checked it out.

tonight at work i went to move it from the back lot to the front lot so we could lock the gates, I turned the key, it gave a metalic clunk (like low battery kickback only shorter & a little quieter) & then nothing! just the relay would click once for each push of the button. 

--the voltmeter would dive for 8V (the lowest it reads)
--i tapped the starter, no help (but i can feel the starter pesumably taking up the few hundreths of freeplay in the gear when i hit the button)
--a jump made no difference, jumping to the starter only made sparks
--i pulled the plate off the left side & can turn the engine counter clockwise, not clockwise.
--it's very hard to push in gear, no way to push start it on flat ground

tomorrow a.m. my son & i will grab the trailer & bring it home.

i'll pull the starter first & see if it turns, i'll double check battery condition first though..

if not i have a spare in unknown condition, freshly turned armeture Jason Morris gave me years ago i haven't needed, & some spare spring seals. i have no idea if the unknown starter has good brushes, i have no spares.

if the starter turns i guess i'll have to pull the side case (Damn!) I suspect the starter clutch overall anyway...

so i'll either be robbing parts off Cafe vision or begging them here..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Sounds like you're seized man. Hows your oil filter look?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

I'd say starter / starter clutch.  It will rotate backwards so it's not siezed - there's something else going on.

I'm about to rebuild 2 starters myself.  Silver V had the starter go last fall so I robbed the one out of Trator.  I put the brush plate from Tractor into Silver V's starter - the brushes are about shot in that one, too.   ::)  Need to order two kits and get it done by the end of May.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

not siezed, i can turn the crank.

inanecathode

Doesnt have to be totally seized :O
Guess the starter clutch is easier to check :)
Just would make me worried that you cant push it at all on flat ground.

Lucky

i can push it, it's just hard (plus i was on dusty smooth concrete with road boots & a lazy helper to push.)  it does feel 'tight' though..

inanecathode

Making any odd noises when you push it in top gear?

Lucky

i didn't try, i had a store full of employees & customers to take care of...

inanecathode

My moneys in on partially seized crank/pistons.

Rick G

Based on my experience with blowing up Vision engines, pistons don't readily seize, spun bearing , maybe , but that usually happens when the engine is running and its not all of a sudden , You get enough warning so that you can think "oh. shit" and continue for a short distance  to pull over.

I'm betting on some failure in the starter clutch, because of the one way rotation. The stiff pushing  could be from the same source.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Oh Crap.

Just got home and read your post.

Speechless...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rick G on May 03, 2008, 10:54:23 PM
Based on my experience with blowing up Vision engines, pistons don't readily seize, spun bearing , maybe , but that usually happens when the engine is running and its not all of a sudden , You get enough warning so that you can think "oh. shit" and continue for a short distance  to pull over.

I'm betting on some failure in the starter clutch, because of the one way rotation. The stiff pushing  could be from the same source.

Popped out spring or bolt?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

see what happens when you don't name your Vision  :o

I hope it's just the starter clutch jammin up the works
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

The over running clutch body is cast and I've seen them cracked and the rollers jammed.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

inanecathode your just a puddle of joy...

Lucky

whatever it is, i'll know tomorrow & just fix it...

ps2/bikevision

ok this makes me worried. if lucky is having problems with his vision what does it say about the fate of the rest of ours. i conseder lucky as the vision guru. this will just prove that even the best of visionaries have to do work on there bikes too. the only problem will be if he cant get his running again. then were all in trouble.

sounds to me like you've got a problem in your starter or starter clutch. if the motor will push in gear then its not an intrernal problem, like a busted rod or somthing. if the motor was patically siezed then it would only turn over so far and then stop. and with it turning eaiser backwards leads me to go for the starter clutch. its job is to grab in one direction and not the other. so if its broke in the right spot then it could cause the engine to bind up in one direction and not the other.

Lucky

Quote from: ps2 on May 03, 2008, 11:58:35 PM
ok this makes me worried. if lucky is having problems with his vision what does it say about the fate of the rest of ours.

If you guys truly knew how lazy i am with my mainenence....
(or is it just a lack of time?)

ps2/bikevision

Quote from: Lucky on May 04, 2008, 12:01:42 AM
Quote from: ps2 on May 03, 2008, 11:58:35 PM
ok this makes me worried. if lucky is having problems with his vision what does it say about the fate of the rest of ours.

If you guys truly knew how lazy i am with my mainenence....
(or is it just a lack of time?)

so the reason for your screen name finally comes to light.

Rick G

Everyone can have problems, I've set the record for spun  rod bearings! >:( >:(
Rick G