Main Menu

Disc repair

Started by Rick G, May 12, 2008, 12:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

My front discs are warped,They came off of a race bike  and were probably used pretty hard.
The original plan was to send them to Ron McCoy and he would turn them down a bit, How ever when he changed jobs, there was no machine shop available . The local automotive machine shop wants 40.00 per side , thats 4 sides , do the math!!!.
I've been looking for a while for a better set and had no luck , I may go for a set of R1 or R6 rotors , but for now I need some improvement.  Having no dykem blue available to me , I used a giant size marker pen to paint the high spot , so I could identify it.  I used the belt sander , which did take it down and the orbital sander for a better finish. Its better, but not perfect. I don't believe it could be made perfect , with the tools I have at my disposal , but maybe I can get it good enough , until I get some thing better.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

Rick, if you just take the high spot down, it will probably through the balance off. However, they might not be fixable at the machine shop, too thin and they will warp easier. I'm afraid you will need some kind of replacement rotors but I don't know what. RZ350 rotors will fit but they are probably no easier to find than '83 Vision rotors, unless some RZ guy has done an upgrade. Good luck.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

Hi Walt, I don't expect to get them perfect, just improve them a bit. I can only take the high spot down , theres nothing I can do about the low spot on the other side./ As for balance, there only about a foot across and so balance degradation is almost non existent .
The vision discs are about a third thicker that modern discs, so believe theres plenty of meat there to turn them, (besides Ron was going to do his too, and I trust him)
My left disk is 35 thousands out and the right is 10. My brakes have pounded for quite a while  and I got tired of it. I just don't have funds ,right now to do any thing about it.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Well i say you get one "Attaboy!" for inginuity!   :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

I'm sure you'll be ok.  My dad just uses the concrete driveway on his rotors.  He's still alive and kicking so I suppose his methods worked out too.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I looked on ebay and R1/R6 rotors are going for 100.00 to 200.00 .I wonder what it would cost to turn a set of '82 rotors down?
Ron was going to make tooling  to mount the rotors to turn the side surfaces , but I don't have access to that kind of machinery , Come to think of it,  I do have access to a large lathe and I'm going to look into turning  '82 discs down to the same diameter as the '83's. I have a good supply of '82 discs.
Rick G

Walt_M.

Excellent idea, I was going to suggest it but thought the machining cost might make that impractical. Lathe access is good!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on May 13, 2008, 03:19:04 PM

Come to think of it,  I do have access to a large lathe and I'm going to look into turning  '82 discs down to the same diameter as the '83's. I have a good supply of '82 discs.

I was thinking about that last night also .... but, if you cut an '82 rotor down... would you then not have enough surface area for the pads? ie interference or the pads hanging off the braking surface towards the inside ?

I was looking on eBay for something I saw awhile back where they milled (resurfaced) a rotor, not turning it, but some kind of bigazz orbital mill thingymajig
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Night , Thats the same procedure they use to surface a flywheel, in a stick shift car. The boys at TNT  get 40.00 to surface a clutch  and there looking at my discs as 4 flywheels. The machine they use is called a Blanchard grinder, or just a surface grinder.
I'll have to check to see if there is enough disc to maintain the swept area.
Burk Storty , whose bike is seen in the gallery, also had a hotrod vision with (if I remember correctly,) Vmax forks and cut down '82 discs, so I think there is potential to the idea.
Rick G

jasonm.

RIck, sounds like you have an '83 front end w/267mm rotors. Am I correct? There are many other rotors that are the exact same diameter and bolt pattern from Yamaha. They may have a different hole or slot pattern. But will have the same mounting holes and work perfectly. In fact many rotors still made by Yamaha in the last few years fit this. You need to look. I will also look at the local shop for you. Where I know to be many spare parts along w/rotors.  In fact I know for sure that the old Virago 750 and 1100 both used the identical size 267mm rotors as the '83 Vision from about '86 onwards. But with more slots. These were in production for a long time. I have many friends w/Viragos. I would always joke, "how nice these rotors would look on my '83 Vision". They are actaully nicer looking and  lighter(holes drilled near mounting bolts) rotors. Time to search Ebay. Do the Ebay, don't resurface. Bacause you must do BOTH sides. Otherwise you will have "low spots".
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

acee125

My rotor is pretty grooved. Do you guys know of any bolt in rotor from another bike other than the Seca 650 that will fit?

Rick G

Jason , its the '83 sliders discs and calipers from the Vision racer , fork tubes are '82, I looked on ebay  and only found  R1 and R6 discs, and they were running 100.00 to 200.00 , sort of beyond my budget .
TNT was prepared to surface both sides of both discs, at a price of 40.00 a side. Thats out of the budget too!
Rick G

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

jasonm.

RICK, what size rotors do you have ???????  267 or 298mm ???  I gave you the answer for 267...Or are you trying to modify brakes to be  like mine ?   I paid far less than $100 for mine...I think w/shipping $40. Not more. R1 rotors I got were very good shape. Well within the .006 runout allowed.

jasonm.

Quote from: acee125 on May 18, 2008, 07:28:37 PM
My rotor is pretty grooved. Do you guys know of any bolt in rotor from another bike other than the Seca 650 that will fit?
VIRAGOs 86 on are 267mm . They bolt right in to an '83 Vision...see my earlier posting. As far as 298mm. The odd pads '82 use make that a challange. Virago 535 may fit...

Rick G

Jason , I'm trying to repair/replace my '83 discs  (267 mm) At a later time I may want to replace the calipers with something better. For now, I need to get discs that don't have 35 thousandths run out.
Rick G

jasonm.

OKAY, THEN LOOK ON EBAY FOR A PAIR OF 750, 1000 or 1100 Virago rotors '86 on. Do you need a picture ?

Rick G

I'm watching a pair of R6 rotors right now  . There's one bid and 2 days to go.
I'll always take picture , do you want to post it or attach it to an email/
Rick G

jasonm.

Why are you getting R6 or R1 298mm rotors...? plan doing an upgrade like mine?  Otherwise get Virago 267mm rotors.