Ain't she DANDY?!

Started by sapienwaste, May 14, 2008, 12:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sapienwaste

Some soulless monster keyed it before I bought it, I have some OEM paint, but am not good at painting so i'm waiting for my friend to get some time. I got it for $1000 at 11,000 miles from an old british guy here in Colorado. Things I've done so far: Took hose from head to airbox out the back, excess oil in the airbox  :( . Checked the tank for rust (none) and looked at the filter on the petcock. I can't keep the battery from blowing up, so I figure I'll buy a maintenance free one SOON. Blew out the carb port holes with compressed air (I know, I know the diaphragms will hate me, but I thought it might help), Oil+Filter changed with synthetic oil. I've already put about 2000m on her. I seafoamed it right when i got it hoping for an easy fix for throttle stumble...

Things I'm doing soon/tomorrow:

Inline fuel filter. I guess I don't understand why, the petcock filter looks just about as good as the new one i have, but all of you can't be wrong, right?

Carb scrubbin. I'm going to be REALLY REALLY careful, and hope i can get away with not buying a kit. I'll synch the carbs once its back on. Anyone know the easiest way to get the right mixture, other than trial and error?

Putting the bike on an amp Diet with a led brake-light and headlight, also cutting the rev-limiter.

All in all I'm hoping to rid the bike of the famous stumbles, which she has a pretty bad case of. My guess is its all carb problem. I checked the yics today, and I'm pretty sure the previous owner disconnected it already, I'll have to look at my shop manual. I'm amazed it look me this long to look at it.

What I'd like to do tomo but am scared of:

Starter clutch tightening. Can someone baby me through it, tell me how it was for them? I'm a pretty good mechanic, but not amazing like some of you.

Anyway, tell me what you think! PM me, post, or whatever!
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

inanecathode

God thats freakin gorgeous.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Boy, its hard to find a red one thats not faded, but yours is really nice.
By the way , there are no diaphragms in the vision carbs (except for the accelerator pump) There really car carbs .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

joevacc

She's a beauty!!

Sounds like your carbs are just maladjusted.  You may not have to pull them.  I would go for a good tune up before I pulled anything apart.  You probably will need to do the carbs but it may just be out of sync or your air box flap may not be opening properly. Either way you should get a new air filter, plugs, caps and wires on it and get the carbs all adjusted perfectly before you pull them.

Why do you want to cut the rev limiter?  Don't do it if you don't have to.  If that baby was mine I would go to all lengths to restore it not pull stuff off of it.

If you do have to redo the carbs get the kits...  gaskets don't last forever...  My carbs have only been apart once in 40,000 miles and that was 30,000 ago.  They won't go bad if you ride it a lot. (Mine sat with only 500 miles on it over two years once.)

That is a great looking bike take good care of it!  Good luck with it... and if at first you don't succeed find some new parts and try again!  ;D
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

h2olawyer

Really nice V!!!

Where you located?  There's a fairly active (and growing) CoROV.  Inanecathode, kwells, comatt, Tanno and me are all Colorado Visionaries.  We go from Ft. Collins to Longmont, to Blackhawk, to Lakewood and Aurora.  Most of us would be glad to give you a hand with that beautiful bike.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Rock on
CO is becoming a one stop shop for Visionaries

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Sweet.  Nice looking find and not a bad price for an 83 with low miles.

I see what your'e talking about with the battery...battery goo running down the left side cover in one of the pictures.  Check your grounding and your charging system.  ;D

Welcome to ROV.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Dave, wake up, it's an 82. lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

sapienwaste

Yeah, It is an '82 and has the slightly more amazing carb on it.  :(

edit: Oh! Colorado Visionaries, I'm in Boulder most of the time. Let me know of any events!

kwells

Boulder..ha
I'm there almost every other weekend
We'll have to ride...

of course as soon as I get my plates

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

What do you mean about exploding battery?

h2olawyer

If your battery keeps boiling over, you may need a new R/R.  Test the charging with a voltmeter on the battery terminals while the bike is running.  Should be between 13 - 14.5 volts @ idle & 14.5 volts when revved up (over 2500 RPM).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on May 14, 2008, 06:58:35 AM
Dave, wake up, it's an 82. lol

Homer moment....  DOOOOOHHHH!!

I've been downgraded to Vision Newbie

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Superfly

Really nice looking bike!  I would have to agree that she IS Dandy!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

sapienwaste

Quote from: QBS on May 14, 2008, 05:34:49 PM
What do you mean about exploding battery?

I'm not sure what the problem is, might have just been overfilled, but it leaks unpredictably all over the frame..

You can see the white in the picture. That was a day after I washed it off and sanded the area clean

kwells

any boil over regardless of the reason should be routed through an overflow tube that dumps it under the bike.  Get yourself some tubing.

www.wellsmoto.com

sapienwaste

So, I was hanging out with some friends tonight and it was getting late...so I was going to ride my trusty vision home.
Pulling out of the parking space....giving it a little throttle, easing the clutch...and *BAM* in gear, clutch hand goes totally limp.

Turns out the poor clutch was holding on by about 5 wires of the whole bundle, the rest had been long gone. So I'm out tomorrow looking for a clutch cable in the morning so I can meet up with my girlfriend.

Yippeeee.

inanecathode

Any corovs have a spare clutch cable for sapien?

kwells

I dont think I have one in my stash at home... Do we have one at the garage?

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode