Ain't she DANDY?!

Started by sapienwaste, May 14, 2008, 12:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

I have a spare - I sent him a PM.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Hey , guys don't throw your old, broken, throttle or clutch cables  away . It the housing is servicable (and you can't get one from your local stealer) I can install a new core.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sapienwaste

Good to know, I still have the old one, but I just sent away for a new one today. The housing is perfect, I guess i'd never actually the old one so if anyone feels they need it I'll keep it around....
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

Lucky

Rick, can you shorten cables?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

If you have someone who does paint. Have him sand the ugly black tail and paint that to match. THAT WOULD BE HOT!  RIck, I have spare '82 cables ...can you safely shorten them to fit my '83? That means shortening the jacket and inner cable....In many catalogs I used to see '82 cables all the time NEW but NOT OEM.  In fact I have one that is not OEM but almost new...But I have an '83.
  ALSO you must put a fuel filter in line. The screens as described earlier on the petcock ...I have seen enough crap get by the screens to know....they do little.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Yes, I can shorten cables, get me a measurement, over all length, of the  outer sheath on a '83 cable.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

Clutch cables are available new for '82 and '83. You just need to look. I believe "motion pro" has them.  Also that white is caused by someone riding without the battery breather drain connected. Once that corrosion starts...it's hard to stop it.

Rick G

Jason , Motion Pro dropped them from the '07 catalog . All they had listed was the speedo cable. everyone should buy a spare!
Rick G

jasonm.

I just looked in the Dealer's '08 parts unlimited catalog.,..they are there. 

QBS

Jason, regarding battery acid corrosion: (1) very agressively scrub the affected area with a baking soda and water solution.  (2) Rinse with clear water and dry.  (3) Sand affected area + 20% with medium grit sand paper down to bright metal. Repeat steps 1 & 2. Use hair drier to ensure dryness.  Paint asap with semi gloss black rattle can.

Tanno

I've had the same issue last summer with the clutch cable snapping. H2O came to the rescue until I could get the new on in. I ordered one from the stealer. Took about a week to get it.

I'm in Boulder 5 to 6 days a week. I work nights there. And, obviously since it's not that far from me, I can be convinced easily to make the trip for a meet 'n' greet. It's just another trip on the V. :D
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

sapienwaste

While changing a light in my dash, it seems i managed to snap the silly plastic housing off of the key ignition switch thingi. It looks like an amazing pain in the ass to get to it/fix. Clutch cable is all ready and good tho. Fixed the yics box etc.

Any suggestions? Its just hanging there and the plastic was very brittle and shattered all jagged like. Also, I could turn the 'dial thing' inside the ignition box that is now detached under next to the forks with a screwdriver, but it wouldn't give me power...does it have to be in the housing?

Tanno

You don't have a key? The ignition switch plugs into the harness inside the headlight bucket. If that's what you're talking about.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

sapienwaste

Yeah I have the key, but at the bottom of the cylinder attached is the main switch, which is now the formally attached main switch.

Night Vision

at one time, I had just the plastic bottom part of the ignition switch on a parts bike  (no key cylinder, but wiring connected )

and yes, turning the inner switch with a screw driver did power it up.....

and yes, it's a pain to get to... without some disassembly required.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Jason, thats strange, I looked last year in the Tucker Rocky and Parts unlimited catalogs and they were not listed , Perhaps it was a temporary thing. May be a new manufacture (China?)is online .
Rick G

Tanno

Okay, I'm sorry. I thought you broke the bezel for the lights and the ign sw. I now see that I was on the wrong part in my head.

sapienwaste

This thingi:

Oh faithful soldering iron, plastic doth thee melt-ith well.

Don't I look wonderful! =\

Edit: fixed images..

Night Vision

that is not normal wear   ::)  looks like a mouse chewed on it   >:(

as long as it works... no big deal... can't really see it when it's on the bike 

I use blue locktight on the the bolts that hold the ignition into the bottom of the top clamp... I' hate messin with 'em when they back out
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

sapienwaste

Thats AFTER i got the soldering iron on it, it was in multiple pieces, I just melted it together  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D