News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New Owner

Started by Shop Rat, May 15, 2008, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Shop Rat on May 17, 2008, 12:14:28 PM
I'm not familiar with "Tiger's."  Is that a shop or salvage yard?

Salvage yard, pub, Vision hostel...

Yeah, that seems to cover most of it :-)  One day I might actually meet him  ;D

Brian

h2olawyer

As for your earlier question about different carbs, I believe Glyn - one of our New Zelanders - was experimenting with a Weber carb.  Not sure how that project is going now, though.

When spotlessly clean & properly adjusted / synchronized, the 82 carbs work fine - with the possible exception of running in traffic @ higher ambient temps.  They're just a bit more finicky than most other motorcycle carbs.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

the only other down draft carbs of that era are Venture and V-max. BUT they are spaced differently....a bit further apart. But anything is possible with enough time you can fit anything...but will it work?  I have a Venture...I know this. No, I have not tried to fit Venture carbs...yet.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

motorcyclezen

The bike looks sweet! Just something I discovered about mine that I would like to share is to check the oil level. When I got mine I just assumed it was where it should be--then I found some excess oil in the airbox.

h2olawyer suggested that the oil was overfilled. I checked it and noticed that it wasd WAY overfilled. I also noticed then that I even had oil blowing out of the front valve cover gasket. Thank God I chaged the oil and filled it between the marks on the window. No excess oil in the box and no oil blowing out of the seals anymore.

Enjoy your bike.

Ed--

QBS

Correct oil level when full is the top of the window.  FYI: oil capcity is 2.9 qts with a filter change.  I just dump in 3 qts. and declare victory.  The additional .1 qt. has never caused me any problems over the last 24 years.

h2olawyer

The manual shows the oil fill level as the lower line & top of sight glass as full.  I've noticed that when I fill mine to the top line as per the owner's manual, I get significantly more oil in the airbox.  If I leave it just a little lower, then the oil problem is nearly non-existent.  I ride mine @ 5K + RPM much of the time, outside of town, as this keeps me closer to the powerband.

Figured if mine has that issue, it isn't likely the only one.  The several airboxes I've bought as parts have all been caked with oil inside.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Mine always needs cleaning up, I'm going to experiment with a longer hose leading to a catch bottle.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Quote from: QBS on May 17, 2008, 11:42:43 PM
Correct oil level when full is the top of the window.  FYI: oil capcity is 2.9 qts with a filter change.  I just dump in 3 qts. and declare victory.  The additional .1 qt. has never caused me any problems over the last 24 years.

& if you install my oil cooler, then 3 qts even works perfectly!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Shop Rat

I guess my being an old hot-rodder of sorts makes me think of stuff like that.  I had once wanted to put mikunis on my CB1100 because they made such a big difference on 750s, but I never did it.  It runs fine now and the last thing it needs is more HP.  I'm pretty well convinced now that staying with the stock '82 XZ carbs is my best choice. 

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 17, 2008, 03:26:31 PM
As for your earlier question about different carbs, I believe Glyn - one of our New Zelanders - was experimenting with a Weber carb.  Not sure how that project is going now, though.

When spotlessly clean & properly adjusted / synchronized, the 82 carbs work fine - with the possible exception of running in traffic @ higher ambient temps.  They're just a bit more finicky than most other motorcycle carbs.

H2O
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

sapienwaste

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 17, 2008, 11:54:25 PM
The manual shows the oil fill level as the lower line & top of sight glass as full.  I've noticed that when I fill mine to the top line as per the owner's manual, I get significantly more oil in the airbox.
H2O

I just vented the head to the outside, down near the rear wheel. Its just one less thing to worry about...having your air filter bathing in motor oil...
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

Lucky

Quote from: sapienwaste on May 18, 2008, 03:29:42 PM
[I just vented the head to the outside, down near the rear wheel. Its just one less thing to worry about...having your air filter bathing in motor oil...

As long as it's not vaporizing ON the rear tire, that would be a bad day.....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on May 18, 2008, 03:32:53 PM
[I just vented the head to the outside, down near the rear wheel. Its just one less thing to worry about...having your air filter bathing in motor oil...

As long as it's not vaporizing ON the rear tire, that would be a bad day.....

Ouch...Good point.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Good to know there are some locals (almost).  I'm not familiar with "Tiger's."  Is that a shop or salvage yard?

FC

\
Quote from: Night Vision on May 15, 2008, 06:39:34 PM
welcome aboard.... I'm near Syracuse... look out around 10:30am tomorrow and maybe you'll see me and Joe riding past going up to Tiger's... if you need parts... PM Tiger and we'll bring them home for ya  :D

:) Hi Shop Rat, I'm that "Tiger" being mentioned... ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Shop Rat

Quote from: Tiger on May 18, 2008, 04:33:54 PM
Good to know there are some locals (almost).  I'm not familiar with "Tiger's."  Is that a shop or salvage yard?

FC

\
Quote from: Night Vision on May 15, 2008, 06:39:34 PM
welcome aboard.... I'm near Syracuse... look out around 10:30am tomorrow and maybe you'll see me and Joe riding past going up to Tiger's... if you need parts... PM Tiger and we'll bring them home for ya  :D

:) Hi Shop Rat, I'm that "Tiger" being mentioned... ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Thanks for the intro.  I must say everyone here seems to love these bikes. I'm really getting eager to ride mine as soon as it's ready. 

'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

zore

I'm going to be putting a set of 83 carbs on my 82 mostly because I'm looking for better fuel mileage.  As far as I know, you need to modify the lower part of your air box and the rear upper motormount to make room for them.  The fuel return line isn't needed if you dont want to go thru the hassel. 

My 82 carbs run just fine after a good cleaning and fresh gaskets so I'm in no hurry to do the switch. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Shop Rat

What is it about the 83 carbs that gives more MPG?

Frank

Quote from: zore on May 19, 2008, 08:43:29 AM
I'm going to be putting a set of 83 carbs on my 82 mostly because I'm looking for better fuel mileage.  As far as I know, you need to modify the lower part of your air box and the rear upper motormount to make room for them.  The fuel return line isn't needed if you dont want to go thru the hassel. 

My 82 carbs run just fine after a good cleaning and fresh gaskets so I'm in no hurry to do the switch. 
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

zore

I'm not sure yet.  What I have noticed is that those people with 83 carbs seem to be getting slightly better mileage than with 82 carbs.  I'm going to give it a try and see what I get.  If it's unchanged, the 83 carbs wont lose any value  ;D
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Shop Rat

I just got a "top-end" gasket set from ebay and I'm ready to take the heads off.  The Haynes book seems to be OK to guide me thru it, and I'm ordering Lucky's CD today as well. 

Quote from: Rick G on May 16, 2008, 11:25:55 PM
Shop Rat, just don't pull the cylinders , with the idea of reringing it as rings are not available { although I know of a machine shop that can get them specially made) . The original rings are very hardy  and last very well. Also buy the head gaskets befor you tear it down. They have been out of stock acouple of times, but Yamaha seems to be willing to make them if someone orders them. If I could'n't get new ones I'd doctor the old ones up , with copper coat and reinstall them.
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

sapienwaste

Just to clarify, I'm not venting the head ON the tire.  >:( >:(
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

Rick G

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 17, 2008, 11:54:25 PM
The manual shows the oil fill level as the lower line & top of sight glass as full.  I've noticed that when I fill mine to the top line as per the owner's manual, I get significantly more oil in the airbox.
H2O

I just vented the head to the outside, down near the rear wheel. Its just one less thing to worry about...having your air filter bathing in motor oil...
There's a vent on the front head too. I'm going to vent mine over board , when I have time , but the vent tubes will end in a catch bottle . You just have to remember to empty it, before it fills up.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike