YICS Hoses, Idle Screw, Water Temperature Variability?

Started by motorcyclezen, May 18, 2008, 12:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcyclezen

This is going to come off like a lame question, but I've finished with cleaning the carbs and have them synched. The bike is running so well it's kind of scary--that is to say it really flies well beyond what I consider safe for its age and suspension  ;-)

Now for the YICS, I found the leaks and repaired it, but what about the hoses: do they have to be a certain length for the YICS to function properly?

Yesterday after a ride, I noticed that the bike wouldn't idle, so naturally I checked the idle adjustment screw, and found that it had loosened itself to the point of not being in contact with stop. Could be that I had compressed the spring so much trying to get it to idle before cleaning, that it is ineffective in holding the setting. Any tips out there from the more experienced as to stop it from backing out?

Finally, I fixed my temperature gauge and fuel gauge; both had faulty connections, and now I'm noticing the bike operates just below mid-range while I'm rolling, but when I'm stopped or doing stop and go in the city, it climbs significantly. Is this normal? Coolant level is optimal. Fan appears to be working.

Thanks,

Ed--

Lucky

the hoses do not have to be an equal length, but they do need to be good quality (fuel injection hose works well) they are prone to collapse due to the way the YICS works.

first, if the throttle doesn't come all the way to the stop, double check that the synq rod isn't on either backwards or flipped over.  it'll bind if it is (you'll see it)  also the YICS can hit the rod if it's too long. check too your throttle cable routing & adjustment inder the grip.

your temperature guage sounds normal, burp it at the bleed bolt under the tank (where the sensors are) to be sure there is no air in the system.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

motorcyclezen

Quote from: Lucky on May 18, 2008, 12:33:21 PM
the hoses do not have to be an equal length, but they do need to be good quality (fuel injection hose works well) they are prone to collapse due to the way the YICS works.

first, if the throttle doesn't come all the way to the stop, double check that the synq rod isn't on either backwards or flipped over.  it'll bind if it is (you'll see it)  also the YICS can hit the rod if it's too long. check too your throttle cable routing & adjustment inder the grip.

your temperature guage sounds normal, burp it at the bleed bolt under the tank (where the sensors are) to be sure there is no air in the system.

--Lucky

Thanks, Lucky. It's raining in DC, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be on the road today--plenty of time to check and burp, etc. I gotta' say I'm really loving my bike, and it's thanks to all you guys that she's such a joy to work on and ride--she's a rocket for sure.

Ed--

Tiger

Quote from: motorcyclezen on May 18, 2008, 01:28:13 PM
I gotta' say I'm really loving my bike, and it's thanks to all you guys that she's such a joy to work on and ride--she's a rocket for sure.

Ed--

8) Another satisfied customer... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8) ENJOY her Ed 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

As per the owners manual, temp gauge will normally move through a very wide range depending on traffic and ambient air temp.  From what you've described, your bike sounds to be  perfectly normal.  If it had air in the system it would running way over toward the red zone all the time.  Others will probably disagree,  but I wouldn't be concerned until the needle touched the line seperating green from red zone.  Then, I would very very concerned.  Like pull over and stop the engine immediately.