Permanent 'task completed' record...

Started by Lucky, May 21, 2008, 10:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I'm hereby proposing some sort of system to record if particular tasks we all must do, such as brake bar bolts, starter clutch fix, starter oil seal, etc have been done on a particular bike.  My main motivation for this is if a Vision is bought or sold, it would be good to know if these & other 'manditory' tasks have been completed. (may increase the value of the bike when being sold too)

some possable ways of doing this could be:

--a paint code on the items: yellow dot on the starter, brake bar bolt, a certain bolt or bolts on the left cover.
--a record stored safely under the seat, perhaps marks, paint or something else on the frame there... or a simple printed list (but easily destroyed  :'( )
--an 'official' ROV 'dog tag' (ever see the dog tag machines at Wallmart, etc?)
--an 'off site' database, such as a web space, etc,  sorted by frame or VIN #

They each have their pro's & con's...
thoughts?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

I think a database with VINs would be sufficient.  THat way anyone with a Vision could check it out themselves especially new owners
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

That's a great idea.  Do it sort of like CarFax.  To check the mods / known history of a Vision, it could be set up to give a couple dolLAR donation to the ROV site.  If the VIN is not in the database, the person checking would not have to pay.  After a few years, most of the running Visions would be in there & it would definitely add some value to the bikeS (assuming the mods were done & the owner was honest about it).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

8) Great idea...At present, I buy a Vision hand book and record the parts/work done. That way I and the new owner have a complete upgrade record.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Perus

Great idea :D

Just insert the data in some SQL DB and create a suitable interface and host the system for a lifetime - it would also serve as a backup memory if you
happens to forget what you did last year 8)

Br,
Per

Night Vision

devil's advocate: I can paint dots or tell you guys what you want to hear.... doesn't mean I actually did the PM...

if you have receipts for parts or mechanic's bill... that would add credibilty... but still suspect to falsifying records
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

I dont think adding value is what's it's about at all.  I think it is about knowing what the previous owner did.  There's no reason to lie about doing a brake bolt check or replacement. But if someone DOES do it...it's easy to check. I currently don't know if Blackie has the head bearing done...but I have to pull it apart to check...
Just a matter of going to a central location for the 411.  I also cant envision any pay system working either.  If it's gonna be done....it should just be part of the site.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Knowing the info would be of help to a prospective buyer - that would add value to the bike, providing the work has been done.  If the prospective buyer knows what will be needed in the way of 'fixes', the price can be negotiated appropriately.

The ability to look up that info in one place is worth something, too.  I'm not saying $10 or something like that.  More like a buck to look up two or three VINs.  Make it clear that the $ is a donation to the ROV site & I think most people would be willing to pay for the info.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

My idea behind this is as a valuable resource. I'm going to respectfully disagree with you H2O, we have always offered information & advice free & on the 'honor' system. To me, the exception to this is for tangeble goods & services, i.e. selling parts, carb rebuilds, Ron sells T-shirts, mugs, etc, I sell DVD's with info (which is almost all freely ava elsewhere, i just collect it in one place) i did ask Yamaha and Haynes for permission to reproduce their property, they chose not to reply, & that i'm sure doesn't make it right, but really, that's my problem not yours. The $$ i recieve go towards my web fees, (not much really) my bikes & in hard times, food & bills. it doesn't amount to much...

Ron & I both have a "donate" button on my site, so i feel that's already covered.

I actually proposed 2 different systems, 'on the bike' & 'widely available'.  i think a prospective VISIONARY would be pleased to have that information at their fingertips, & tend to promote owners who understand that they would be buying a bike that has support behind it & an entire community that cares about the bike they are considering purchasing.  As a seller, explaning this 'fact' about the bike would present a sense of pride about the bike & possably even make them more picky about who gets the bike (maybe).

I can see it now: "Honey, i think i found a bike, not too expensive, but it needs some work."  "Ohkaaaay... now what are you doing?"  "Looking at this website the guy gave me with all kinds of info about these bikes, & LOOK! here's the things he's done to his!" "Hmm, that's good" "Yup!" <grin>

Can the info be be faked? sure, but keep in mind, this isn't a Harley Owners Group!

Please note everyone, this NOT a tirade against H2O!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Wasn't saying it had to be a paid service, just that it could bring in a little extra for the ROV site to keep it free.  Didn't take it as a tirade.   ;D  I mean a whole dollar to get the particular info on a certain bike is peanuts.  It wouldn't generate many donations, but it would help.

I willingly pay for CarFax reports when looking for used cars & that's fairly expensive.

H2O

Aelwulf

Bit of a thread necro, but anyone get one of these going?  Could be handy, I wouldn't mind using one rather than trying to keep a thread &/or Excel sheet updated so I don't lose track. ::)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Paul Mc

Since it's been ressurected:

Database of VINs is a fine idea, gets my vote.

On the topic of the 'must do' items, I'm only now aware (by reading the post) about the starter clutch fix and starter motor oil seal - I'm not au fait with this machine yet (recent new owner) so was only aware of the Torque bar bolts (replaced yesterday with Yamaha OE bolts) and the rev limiter wire (yet to do).

Is there a succinct list of the items that need to be looked at/checked on a newly purchased bike on this (or another) website?

Cheers,
Paul
Candygram for Mongo

YellowJacket!

Paul, check out Lucky's website at www.xz550.com . he has a list of things for new Vison owners to do.  Its a great site with lots of good info.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kenny

I document all work I do with our Visions, Tire changes, oil,filters, all gets entered in a mtnc log.  I also record all my gas fills & the location,this gives you a picture of engine tune,a change will indicate a problem. This is espessialy helpfull on a 15 day cross-country jaunt.
           Ride Safe Ken S. ;) 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Coil Coyle

A Topic titled with the Year and last 4 VIN numbers with a record of the work on the bike, then locked, is my solution. In the future, a search for the 4 digits will find the information. I've already began doing it, it's as permanent as we make this site.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Aelwulf

I want to do a maintenance log for the Vision, need to pick one up.  I got one for the Mean Streak, found a good journal-type at Papyrus that wasn't a ridiculous cost but seems durable.  I'd like to get different types so I can differentiate between 'em at a glance.  I just tend to 'misplace' actual things is all. :P

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)