News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

#8 in the house!!!

Started by Tiger, May 22, 2008, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I couldn't give up such a nice riding day to really spend much time on "The Fat Lady" to-day :o ;D :D :D... ;) Enjoyed a beautifull day out riding "The mistress" with the wee wife on the back... 8)

However, once we arrived back home, I removed the old OEM fuse box, which was in good condition!!! and grafted in the new in-line fuse holder's, including the one in the headlight ::)

That done, I fired up the B.B.Q, flipped on a couple of great "T" bone steaks while the old girl fried up some onions, mushrooms and peppers. That and a couple of pints of Guiness...Mmmmmmmmm 8) One happy Tiger  8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

I can hear the purrrrrrring from here!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

vadasz1

The only happy Tiger is a full bellied Tiger..... ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

motorcyclezen

Nice bike, eh? You can never have too many motorcycles. I probably couldn't let that one go myself. I was in Ontario once--got pulled over for going too slow (driving to cautiously as if I may have had a wee drop). I wasn't drinking, and I told the cop I didn't want to end up in a foreign jail.

Ed--

Tiger

:) Up-date: To this point, I have...

* Installed a replacement T.C.I. unit as the original was blown... ::)

* Replaced the R/R, as the existing one was putting out plus of 16 volt's... :o
   I have also cut out the two white multi-pin R/R connection and relocated the R/R to the outside for cooler running... :)

* Replaced the ball bearings with a taper head set... :)

* Replaced the front forks with an already rebuilt set as both the existing seals were leaking... :)
   (I'll rebuild the original forks once every thing is completed and keep them for... ;)).

* Replaced the rear light and headlight bulb's as they where all blown... :o

* Replaced a handfull of OEM hardware with new product...and more to go!!! :)

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Night Vision

she'll be ready in no time, me thinks...

bag 'em, tag 'em, and sell 'em      eh?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kenny

Hi Tiger,
     We are kicking about over in JOLLY OLD ....& we are keeping a look out for a # "Niner" for you. Does it ever stop Raining here?
We are down near Exeter and have been squired down to Lands End & Lizard Point we went mostly on B & C roads, can't believe how narrow the roads are with the hedges 6 ft. & higher above your heads.
  We are staying with Dorothy's brother Pat & his wife Jean who are having their Listed home roof re-thatched,what an operation that is ,but as they say it looks Magic!
      We will be back in the Colonies in early June.
                         Cherios  Ken & Dorothy
            ps Tiger please save up some coin for shipping. ;) ;)   
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Tiger

:) Hey Kenny & Dorothy...The South West of England is really nice 8) Great roads for the Vision, eh!!!...the same kind of roads that Lawrence, (think Lawrence of Arabia) died riding his motorcycle on :o

According to Cathy, #9 is a new furnace ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A wee up-date, The new steering head tapered bearing I fitted have a couple of notches in them!!! I've ordered another set...::)...Work stopped for a wee while...(sigh)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rick G

Tiger , that new furnace will cost you a whole lot more than a Vision!!!!! Best get multiple bids! :o :o :o
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

vadasz1

I got #10 alll lined up for tiger to adopt if he wants to..... ;D

A red & white '83 V, only about 50 miles away....... :o

But I might just make that #2 for me..... ;D

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: vadasz1 on May 31, 2008, 09:51:49 AM
But I might just make that #2 for me..... ;D

:) Go for it Robert. Is it the one in New Market ?? Whats he asking...

vadasz1

He's actually in Aurora.  I'm hopping over tomorrow around noon time to see it.  It's an 83 red & white with the fairing.  So if I do decide to get it then there will be 2 'Canadians' ready for the fall ride. ;D

Maybe they were twins seperated at birth........ ::)

I'll let you know tomorrow with a post as to what he wants for it.

Story is , he got the bike last year as a payment for work done for a friend of his.  He rebuilt the starter but forgot to ask him whether he did the bolt peening as well, will ask tomorrow.  He said he'll let me run it up and down the street and said that since I am a 'Collector' to offer him a price first.  I hate it when people sell things or want to sell things without even knowing what they're items are worth.  But if I can scoop it out from under him then I will somehow, even if I have to ask for a loan athe Tiger Bank of Erin? ;D

Tiger

Quote from: vadasz1 on May 31, 2008, 12:44:13 PM
.....So if I do decide to get it then there will be 2 'Canadians' ready for the fall ride. ;D

::) Not quite...There are 4 ahead of you in the red & white '83's...but only one "Canadian" buddy... ;)

Tiger.......1 x Red & White '83 + 2 x '82's, "The Mistress" & "Fat Lady".

LilBlaster..1 x Red & White '83 + a Black '82

Kenny......2  Red & White '83's + a Red & Yellow '83.

...and I do believe "Dibble" has sourced one as well... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

vadasz1

Well since all the '82's have been fixed by Tiger looks like all the '83's are popping out of the barns........... ;D

Tiger

:) I removed, stripped down and rebuilt the front brake caliper today...Man did it take some work to get that piston out!!! 150 p.s.i. didn't budge it!!! I ended up alternating between soaking it in penetrating oil for 5 minutes and blowing in 150 p.s.i. It took several goes but finally "SHOT" out.

NOTE: If you haven't tried this procedure before, BEWARE...ALWAYS have the caliper on a solid surface, (I use the concrete floor of my garage), make sure the piston is facing downwards and keep your bloody fingers out of the way!!!

Once it was all stripped down, I cleaned off all the old, chipped paint from the main body and slider, washed everything in my parts washer, blow dried everything and repainted the main body/slider.

Once the paint was dry I rebuilt the caliper. Its now ready to go back on, as soon as I get the new steering head tapered bearings delivered & fitted... ;)

I also did the same thing on a pair of '83 calipers that I have...nearly have everything ready to install the '83 front end onto "The Mistress"...Just need to order up a set of Galfer S.S. Braided Brake Line's for her... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rick G

Tiger I always stick a 9 inch Dowidat tyre iron in front of the piston ,against the two "horns" on the
caliper ( a large square shank screw driver will work also) so that when the piston fires out  :o :o :o,it stops right away, once it has moved , its an easy proposition to pull it out by hand.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) Rick, good point. I always use a piece of cotton towel, (between the piston & the concrete floor), folded over a couple of times...it cradles the piston enough to prevent the "horns" from getting damaged and catches any fluid spray.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

I still think the best way to get the piston out is by using brake fluid and the master cylinder to pump it out. Just keep adding fluid and keep pumping....

of course if the fluid has turned to cheese.. then an alternate method needs to be employed
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

NV , I guess I'm doing it the way I was taught. Most motorcycle shops wouldn't want the mess and cost of  the brake fluid method, air is cheaper and quicker, too.
Rick G

Tiger

Quote from: Tiger on May 31, 2008, 05:07:39 PM
...Its now ready to go back on, as soon as I get the new steering head tapered bearings delivered & fitted... ;)

I also did the same thing on a pair of '83 calipers that I have...nearly have everything ready to install the '83 front end onto "The Mistress"...Just need to order up a set of Galfer S.S. Braided Brake Line's for her... 8)

I'm still waiting for delivery of the tapered bearings for "The Fat Lady"...but I have just ordered the '83 Galfer S.S. Braided Brake Line's for "The Mistress".
They are the last piece of the "Jigsaw"...!! I have the '83 forks, rotor's, calipers, master cylinder, etc, that will now allow me to put an '83 front end onto "The Mistress"...my'82...and I'll flip "The Mistress" front end onto "The Fat Lady"...complete with a Galfer S.S. Braided Brake Line!!! 
Once I get "The Fat Lady" back together, I have a Sting fairing ready to go onto her...I think that she is going to be the best of the three project Visions that I've rebuilt and put up for sale...so far ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)