News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

#8 in the house!!!

Started by Tiger, May 22, 2008, 06:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) "The Fat Lady" is now back onto her own two feet....Ummmm, wheels I suppose :D :D :D :D... ;). I had originally put a set of tapered bearings in, (a new spare set)...but they had a couple of "notches" in them once tightened down, hmmmmmmm, not good!!! So I ordered up another set, from Pyramid. They where delivered on Thursday but today was the first chance to get back at her. I dropped the head out, removed the top bearing and laid them out on the work bench. I removed the bottom race...looked o.k...when I went to remove the top race, I noticed a wee crack!!! turns out the race had fractured in two places :o !!! and NO, I had not overtightened the head down...I removed the bottom bearing from the lower triple tree and installed the new set without any problems.

The rebuilt forks and brake caliper, fender, front wheel and speedo cable are all now reinstalled.

The front wheel bearings are good, so I greased them before installing the front wheel......(installed a new cotter pin and pinch bolt/washers & lock nut)...main axle castle nut torqued down to 80 foot pounds, (as specified).

I picked up a new battery for her at Walymart in Niagara Falls, New York yesterday...$29.99 (shelf price) and I also got $5.00 off for the old, shot battery at customer service!!! (Walmart in Canada are charging more than double their American counter parts for batteries and float chargers :o Bloody disgusting >:( ). That is now filled and on charge, using the new float charger that I also bought, (actually, I bought four of them ;)). The float charger will go to the new owner...whoever that may be 8)

8) Slowly but surely we are getting there :D :D :D :D :D... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

The tapered roller head bearings are tough and  not likely to be damaged by a little too much torque , anyway . I suspect yours were bad from the factory.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on June 09, 2008, 02:27:59 AM
The tapered roller head bearings are tough and  not likely to be damaged by a little to much torque  anyway . I suspect your were bad from the factory.

:) My thoughts, as well. I have to admit that I was kind of surprised when I removed the race in two piece's... :o

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on June 09, 2008, 10:56:13 AM
Chinese maybe?

...Its possible. There are no marking's to indicate >:( I hate cheep off shore shite. It costs you twice as much in the long run ::)

(I'm proud to say the American outfit that I work for sells predominately North American product's... 8)...NO cheep crap!!!)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Tonight I took all the plastic covers, etc, down to the laundry room and gave everything a good wash in hot, soapy water in the laundry tub. Once dried, I polished, bagged and tagged 'em all, ready for installation :D :D :D :D ;)

I've also made and installed a new set of negative and positive wire's...A black battery to ground and a red starter solenoid to starter motor... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

xswheels

Say what ever happened to the Fat Lady? I have just found your thread and am curious about the progress.  Did you finish it or just take a summer break?

Tiger

Quote from: xswheels on August 04, 2008, 09:17:17 PM
Say what ever happened to the Fat Lady? I have just found your thread and am curious about the progress.  Did you finish it or just take a summer break?

:) I took a wee break from her to do the "Honey do" lists :o ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D She will be ready for a new home in a week or so...If I get my a$$ into gear  ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Well, I managed to get my fat a$$ into the garage today to do some work on "The Fat Lady"... :o ;)

I pulled the left side engine cover to get at and remove the flywheel...To do the starter clutch "fix" and tighten the 46mm shaft nut.

Two of the three soc' head cap screws, that hold in the starter clutch were very easy to remove. The third was tight.

The 46mm shaft nut was fractionally loose, like......screw off by hand, no wrench needed :o

Once everything was removed and striped down I threw it all into the parts washer for a good clean up. Once washed and dried, all the parts were inspected for ware/damage. Everything turned out good.

The bolts for the starter clutch were installed using red thread locker and the thread ends peened in a triangle pettern. The 46mm nut was torqued down and the lock tabs bent over.

All went back together quite smoothly. I made a new side cover gasket using an OEM one as a template. Gearshift lever, footpeg and side stand were all washed off and reinstalled. New oil filter installed and fresh oil put in. (The oil that I dropped out of her was like water and the filter was shot).

Ignition on, choke on, a couple of twists of the "go faster" mechanism, hit the starter and up she fired...and no noisy ringydingy!!! ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Another job off of the "To Do" list... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

h2olawyer

So, the "Fat Lady" is finally warming up her pipes!  Nice job, Tiger.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Quote from: Tiger on August 09, 2008, 05:10:08 PM...and the thread ends peened in a triangle pettern.

What be this triangle pattern you mention?  I haven't read this part before I don't believe.  Do you peen each one on a different outside, erm, side so all three points would form a triangle, or three points on each bolt?  I'll hopefully have my starter rebuild kit next week then I'll be able to jump into this. :) I was going to this week, then I remembered that having more than one thing in pieces at a time is bad mojo for me. :(

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tiger

Quote from: Aelwulf on August 10, 2008, 12:06:16 AM
Quote from: Tiger on August 09, 2008, 05:10:08 PM...and the thread ends peened in a triangle pettern.

What be this triangle pattern you mention? 

:) Were the threaded end of the bolt peeks through, I peen it with a punch three times on each one...in a triangular pattern  .   .

:)...and "The Fat Lady" sing's H... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) The "Fat Lady" up-date... 8)

Work completed:

Vetter "Sting" fairing.
Front S.S. Braided brake line.
Front brake caliper has been striped, cleaned, rebuilt and installed.
Brake master cylinder has been flushed, cleaned out and a new "Sight" glass installed.
Brakes fluid replaced and brakes bled off.
Removed the rear wheel and service the rear brakes.
Replaced the rear brake arm stabiliser bolts.
New Steering head taper bearings.
Front forks have been removed, striped, cleaned and rebuilt using new seals and 15 wt oil.
New hand grips.
New battery.
New 6ga Positive (to starter) & Negative (to Battery) leads.
New spark plugs/leads/caps.
New headlight/stop & tail/license plate and signal bulbs.
Replaced the T.C.I. unit (blown).
Replaced the R/R, (showing plus of 16.5 volts prior to replacement!!) and moved it to the outside of the bike.
Replaced the O.E.M. fuse box/glass fuses, with new, in-line blade fuse holders and fuses.
Replaced the glass fuse holder/fuse in the headlight for a new in-line unit and fuse.
New engine oil (Castrol) and oil filter.
New final drive oil.

Gas tank removed and flushed.
New gas line and in-line gas filter installed.
Left side engine cover removed. Starter clutch "fix" done as well as 46 mm nut torqued up and lock       tabs engaged, balancer nut torque checked and lock tabs engaged. Engine cover reinstalled using a new gasket.
Changed the rear wheel/tire assembly. (I had a complete spare ready to go on, with a 110 x 90 x 18).

Replaced various nuts, bolts, washers, screws, etc with new fasteners.

Over all, she is in good condition but has been sitting for a year and really needs to be ridden to give her a good clean out!!! There are a few scratches/dings as you would expect, but the paint work appears to be original. The seat is perfect, the gauge cluster is working fine, mufflers are solid and the tires are in good serviceable condition...

The sale will include a new fitted dust cover, a new float charger and clear title. 

She is ready for safety and the selling price is... $1,150.00 Firm.

h2olawyer

Ride 'er hard & put 'er away wet!   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Well, as of three o'clock ('ish) today, Wolf and his "Flyin' Banana" have a new riding partnership... 8)  Gord, (a.k.a. xswheels) from Sarnia made the three hour journey with his buddy Steve to check out and purchase #8 "The Fat Lady". This is Gords first Vision...but not his first bike. He certainly knows his way around motorcycles.

"The Mistress" now has, for the first time in a long time, the garage all to herself!!! Kinda weird though... ;)

So, welcome to the OnROV family Gord. We look forward to having you join us for the 2009 spring ride... 8)

Now where oh where is #9... :o  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)