News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starter issue

Started by russellsea, May 29, 2008, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsea

Last night I push the start button and my starter just spun freely like it wasn't even in the gears that turn the engine. So I put it in gear and gave it a rock back and forth to try and free it up, it did work. Then to day it worked ok tell I tried to start it again, it started right up but the starter continued to spin for a few seconds after I stopped pushing the start button.  I did rebuild my starter about 7 months ago and has worked great tell yesterday. Just wondering if I may have done something wrong when putting it back in the first time?

Thanks, Sean

Night Vision

a free spinning starter usually indicates a cracked starter clutch... or hopefully, just sticky starter clucth cams/springs
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on May 29, 2008, 09:54:49 PM
a free spinning starter usually indicates a cracked starter clutch... or hopefully, just sticky starter clucth cams/springs

...either way, the left side cover and flywheel need to come off... :o

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

Mine just started doing that once in a while. Especially with synthetic oils. In my case it's likely the rollers, springs and ....   But not the clutch that is bolted to the flywheel. Mine was refastened years ago with all the proper precautions. Yes, I will be taking mine apart soon. But I was waiting for a fried stator. :D
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

russellsea

Maybe the oil could be, because I've never used synthetic oil tell last oil change and never had the issue before.  I guess I can change back to regular and see what happens.

thanks, sean

kwells

you're starter clutch bolts have prob backed out. My bike did exactly that...eventually it ate itself up and I had to replace the whole unit.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

:) russellsea, on the left side engine cover, there is an inspection plate...Remove the two screws and the cover...using a flashlight look inside...you should be able to see the three starter clutch bolt ends...Are they nearly flush with the flywheel ?? or can you see that they, (it could be one, two or all three!!), are backing out toward the inside of the motor, (away from you)...you will see threads in the flywheel were the bolt(s) have backed up... which will confirm that the left cover and flywheel will have to come off to initiate repairs...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

jasonm.

There would be a clunking sound at low idle well prior to the oil change. That is the tell tail sign the clutch assy. is loose. If you did not have a clunking...it's likely not as bad as Kwells is stating. I could just be worn like mine. Skips sometimes...once in a great while the spinning of the starter, you stated.  I know my bolts a re good. But if oyu have never checked yours....BE sure to follow Tiger's advice.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

russellsea

So I did the starter clutch bolts project, one was completely gone and it looked bad.  I put a new starter clutch in from my parts bike that was in much better shape, got every thing back together perfect, put oil in her and fired her right up.  Its much smoother sounding and easier starting.  The only weird thing is I can't seem to get my clutch cable hooked back up; it doesn't seem to be long enough now.  I don't know how the clutch lever on the bottom of the engine would have moved by doing the starter clutch bolts, but I can't get the cable on it for the life of me. I really want to take advantage of the great weather, but one thing always leads to another with the V, please help!

Tiger

:) You can back the clutch cable off from the clutch lever, at the handle bar's, a bit.......at the other end (under the engine) you need to pull the lever toward the front of the Vision to attach the cable... ;) (I use a tire lever ;)).

Don't forget to re-adjust the clutch once you have the cable attached!!!

Pleased to know that you sorted out the starter clutch problem... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rick G

Tiger , I do it the other way. I hook it up on the arm under the engine  and then attach it on top ..Far easier for me.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike