News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Brake Brace Bar Bolts

Started by Dibble, May 23, 2008, 11:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dibble

I have read alot about these nasty little bolts, but I still need some help. My dealer is telling me that the bolts are back-ordered (2 - 4 weeks from Japan). I don't want to wait, so I've been looking around for a suitable replacement. I cannot find a metric shoulder bolt with a hex head. Am I being to fussy, should I just throw a bolt in there? Or will the hex socket shoulder bolt do the trick?

YellowJacket!

i just ordered a set the other day and got a call that they came in today.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

mastergunny

One of my 82 Visions had the 'daytona brace' and one does not. Can they be bought? Are they worth it?

YellowJacket!

Quote from: mastergunny on May 23, 2008, 05:03:44 PM
One of my 82 Visions had the 'daytona brace' and one does not. Can they be bought? Are they worth it?

They show up on ebay from time to time. Hard to get at times.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

acee125

mastergunny

It is the fork brace connecting the two forks at the top of the lower half of the fork. (where the seals are).

h2olawyer

There were (at least) three fork braces made for the Vision.  The above mentioned Daytona, one from ATK and one that just has "FORGED" stamped into it.  I believe those are from K&L.  Eah one is a bit different.  The Daytona is not adjustable in the center section.  The ATK is a different look, shape & colored black.  The K&L looks very similar to the Daytona, but the center section is adjustable for width.  I have a K&L on Silver V & an ATK on Trator.  I also have a Daytona that originally came on Tractor, but is now with Tanno for the possibility of having some made from billet aluminum.

These all do a good job of making the bike feel more planted to the road in twisties & under braking.  A highly desireable option, but as YellowJacket  said, hard to find.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: DIBBLE on May 23, 2008, 11:21:42 AM
I have read alot about these nasty little bolts, but I still need some help. My dealer is telling me that the bolts are back-ordered (2 - 4 weeks from Japan). I don't want to wait, so I've been looking around for a suitable replacement. I cannot find a metric shoulder bolt with a hex head. Am I being to fussy, should I just throw a bolt in there? Or will the hex socket shoulder bolt do the trick?

:) I use a standard, Hex head, grade 8 bolt...(cant remember what size off hand, 3/8"??)...and a Nyloc nut on the other end. Works fine for me!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

You GUYS have it all wrong. Dibble is asking about the "REAR BRAKE arm stay, bolts" ;D  You should use a bolt that does not have threads the first 1/4" or so. The 8mm idea is only if you can't find the OEM. The OEM is actually 10mm that tapers to 8mm. If you use the 8mm Tiger suggests. There is a potential for wobble , play and breakage.  SO you must use grade 10.9 bolt and nut . Then torque the heck out of it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

h2olawyer

There was a thread hijack for the Daytona brace.  The bolt question for the original thread was finally answered by Tiger.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Jason...I use standard grade 8... which is the equivelant of a metric 10.9... ;)...and please use the correct torque setting or you could fracture the brake drum end as it is only aluminum!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

mastergunny

Sorry for the highjacking, but I did learn a lot about fork braces! ;)

motorcyclezen

Dibs,

I have a rear bolt, brand new I can give you for the price of shipping. They gave me two rears when I ordered them.

You can contact me at motorcyclezen@hotmail.com if you want to send an address I can ship it to.

Ed--