Started by Chivo1944, June 17, 2008, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chivo1944

how do i synch the cabs once i get this starter problem worked out
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

h2olawyer

Get the carbs adjusted & running as smoothly aas possible

Attach a manometer (http://www.xz550.com/art_files/4dollarmano.jpeg) to a vacuum port on each carb manifold.  You need to detach the petcock vacuum line from the front manifold and remove a plug from the rear one to access the ports.

Detach & plug off the YICS hoses.

Start bike - be ready to shut it down if the fluid moves rapidly up either side of the tubing - it won't hurt anything if it gets sucked into the engine, but will produce lots of smoke.  Let bike warm up a bit.

Set RPM to 2,000 - 2500.

Loosen the locknut on the linkage - small threads, so be careful.  Turn the linkage to get the level of the fluid even on both sides of the tubing.  Gently tighten the locknut.  Again, the tiny threads can strip easily.  This normally will cause the synch to change.  A little trial & error will get it locked down and in synch.

I think that's it - if I missed something, someone will let us know.   ;D  Operating from memory & no manual at hand.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I make and sell a manometer that prevents the oil from going into the engine. Pm me if your interested.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

reardeac

manometers are very good, but i own a twinmax.... i learned of it from the bmw crowd... it is very simple to use and no chance of sucking anything into engine.... they run around $100 + or - 20. that being said, a manometer or gauges work great as well

h2olawyer

The "$4 Manometer" I linked above was found originally at the BMW Airheads site.  Tubing, a yardstick, some tape & a little ATF.  Cheap & functional.  If the ATF gets sucked into the enging, you'll just be doing your part to combat West Nile Virus.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

The BMW site version, was way too crude, I developed mine further and made it much more compact and eliminated the the possibility of sucking oil into the engine .
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

Hi Rick,
  I am curious if your system is like mine, I use two bottles & have no chance of getting the fluid medium into the engine.
  Works great.
       Comments?
                        Cheers Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Rick G

Mine constructed on a 15 inch piece of  aluminum flat stock , I also use a pair of small valves to allow the amount of vacuum. All of the professional made manometers have this feature.
This allows you to avoid sucking all the oil out ( very critical on a mercury manometer) and filling the shop with smoke.
Rick G

Aelwulf

I was going to make a new thread but this one'll work. :D I sync my carbs at idle, roughly 1,300-1,500 RPM.  I can get them sync'd to having each side roughly an inch apart, but not closer than that.  A very small nudge in either direction will either separate them further or cause them to see-saw the difference in the other direction.  Locking down the locknut also usually affects it a smidge but I'm able to do it so impact in that regard is negligible (sp?).

Is an inch off on the yardstick normal/within tolerances or is there something else that'd do it?

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)