News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Another gastank repair question..............

Started by vadasz1, May 26, 2008, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windjammer

$Probably around $45 with shipping and/or tax.  With the amount you get, it'll treat two tanks, but I put it on thick and saw no need for a 2nd coat. I have about 1/3 of each of the 2 cans left and can't see myself using them on anything in the forseeable future. If you'd like to try it out, I could certainly send them to you. There's probably not enough to treat an entire tank, but if you had a small tank or wanted to try it on a coffee can, you could give it a shot.

Hey, as a side bonus. This stuff really doesn't smell too bad. I did it at the kitchen counter and I'm still married. :)

Quote from: Rick G on June 11, 2008, 12:32:55 AM
What did your Caswells cost/ I'm thinking of trying it next time.

vadasz1

This crappy designed tank is really pissing me off now........... >:( >:( >:(

BUT.......I think I finally got all the holes.  I applied some more epoxy stick to the whole underside on the front from the petcock back about 8".  Then when I let it dry and flipped the tank right side up I noticed that there was a stain on the epoxied area on the top at about 4 o'clock from the gas cap.  This was a dent that was previously pulled out with rods I guess. Well one of the pimples left on the top was so thin, after I filed the epoxy down a bit, that it created a very small pinhole that let some fuel seep out.  The stain was about 1 1/2" in diameter.  So I took a wire brush and cleaned the stained area and then poked the pimple with a pointed knife to make it a little bigger.  Then filled it again with the epoxy stick. (LOCKTITE stock must be doing fantastic by now ::) )

I'll check tomorrow again but it seems like I finally got the bottom of the tank leak free.  So next week should be able to prime it and some of the other plastic pieces.

I'm also trying to decide whether to paint the fairing frame and also the footpeg brackets and any other black parts a gloss black or a semi flat black finish.

Here is a link to some photos: http://photobucket.com/RPendli_82_Vision_project_repairs
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

Robert , its not such a crappy design , if you want it to last 10 years . Yamaha had no idea  anyone would want to ride one 26 years later. .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

vadasz1

Rick, you are right.  I too wish the wood working machines we design & build would last only 10 years and then blow up.  Alas we build them to last practically forever and that will probably kill us as a company.

BTW, there was a thread a few months back about someone making a fiberglassed larger tank for the vision.  If memory serves me right I think it was Ian from New Zealand.  I wonder how he's coming along with it?

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

I'd settle for the same size  or maybe taller , wider would probably conflict with the  fairing.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

vadasz1

Well I must have side stepped the shit pile because I am not having any luck with this tank.

Today as I was putting the finishing touches on the bondo work that I have been religiously applying and sanding for the last week, I noticed a small stain around the area where I have that BIG gash.  After picking at it a bit and removing a bit of the bondo I noticed that the metal epoxy has a stain as well.  Removed the epoxy and saw that it was VERY stained near the tank. "#$&*&^$%" is what I said outloud.  Well I removed the remainder of the bondo and epoxy around the area and cleaned the gash with a wire brush again.  Looks like I will have to do a sheetmetal patch on the area and TIG weld it in place.  This I will have done by a sheet metal welder buddy of mine.  I just have to save up some cash and buy some POR, because I see that the KREEM that is inside is peeling off and the inside of the tank is pretty crappy.

I think I asked this before, but will as it again.  What happened to that member that was making a fiberglass modified tank for the Vision?  I sure would like to know how he's coming along with it.

vadasz1

The tank is at my buddy's place ready to be fixed.  He said that the best way would be to cut out the INFECTED area and TIG weld with a new patch shaped the same as the area to be fixed.  We'll see later as to how good it will be.

Today I recieved my PRINCESS AUTO summer catologue and within the pages of REPAIR KITS, I saw an item made by Permatex that is a METAL FUEL TANK repair kit.  It says it can repair cracks upto 4" long and holes 3/8" diameter.  IT contains everything you need such as epoxy putty, pouch, alchol towelette, bandage (for the tank not your finger), sandpaper and applicator brush.  All this for the low cost of $12.99 CDN.  Product #8161184 on the website.  Could be a easy way to repair those pesky tanks of ours.

OH chimera, do you mind chiming in once and awhile to say hi and to let us know how the mold is coming along.  Last entry in your thread looke very close to completion.

Tiffanator

Hmm... really sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with your tank. I was in my shop the other day and ran my hands over the patched spots in my tank that have been sitting with fuel in them for several months and none of the primer rubbed off... I take this as a good sign since I know gas will remove the primer (as how I found that out!)
I had planned many moons ago to begin work on a carbon fiber/kevlar composite tank since I just don't feel that fiberglass is strong enough on its own to safely withstand a crash. However, since then I have destroyed a well-built PWC hull... and had to demolish it with the help of a bobcat, chainsaw and sawzall.  The fiberglass on the hull ranged from 3/8" to 3/4" thick and I couldn't even make a dent with a sledgehammer and was only able to leave a gash through the fiberglass with an axe.. and I'm no sissy at swinging those things. Obviously the impact of a crash would exert greater forces and possibly a grinding along the street, however I feel that if you hit hard enough to substantially fracture the fiberglass you may have bigger problems. 
I do still have the cloth and resin to make the mold... hmm... maybe I'll add that to the to-do list for the weekend... behind the 3 bicycles I'm fixing and mowing my friend's yard... haha.  ;D
As for changing the shape of the tank, that can easily be done if anyone wants to. However coming from a Z1000 with its 3.7 gallon tank I find the 5 gallons on the XZ plenty. Obviously I would build my own personal tank first and use it for quite a while to ensure its quality before I let anyone else use it. I would produce some test panels of fiberglass to beat on and run over with the car, but I feel that I have sufficiently tested the strength of fiberglass by pounding it with the business end of a bobcat mini-excavator over and over without much luck.
Now that I have hijacked your thread... I'll say that I hate Vision tanks with a passion that now you can understand. HAHA!  I empathize with what you are going through man, keep at it cause it feels SO good when you finally get the tank to hold fuel.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Aelwulf

Quote from: Rick G on June 11, 2008, 12:32:55 AM
What did your Caswells cost/ I'm thinking of trying it next time.

Aye, I'm thinking of going that route as well.  I remember someone saying they used a whole kit (supposedly one order is good for two tanks normally) and let the excess cure in the low spots since that gas is typically unused anyway. :p Only thing I have to read on more is how they kept the petcock area clear if it's a problem.  I figure the Caswell might be a bit more forgiving if I miss some pinholes with the JB Weld.

I remember the thread you're talking about, hopefully progess can be posted on if they haven't been detoured. :) That and/or Tiff will get one goin'. ;) I don't thinkI'd want a different shape as I rather like the current shape and rust wouldn't be a problem with fiberglass.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

I used the permatex to fix the pinholes in my last tank and it worked well.  Got it at Advance Autoparts.  The JB Weld just didn't seem to hold up good enough.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

firstone

I had used the Casewells to fill the low spots.  I used an aluminum plate with some gasket material to seal off the petcock area.  I sprayed the petcock screws with silicone before using them to hold the plate in place to create a cast threaded pocket in the Casewells.  As for the petcock feed area, I waited for the material to fully cure, removed the plate and gasket, then using a dremel and 1/8 bit drilled through the casewells I used the side of the bit to route the area clear.  Make sure the plate and gasket are no thicker then the petcock to prevent the screws from pushing up on the hardened Casewells when you install the petcock.  BTW no leaks as yet.

h2olawyer

Hmmmm - I believe there's now a gremlin coming out of hibernation.   ;)

My next tank project will use the Caswell's.  Afraid if I say anything about my first tank, I'll awaken that gremlin.  My stator gremlin is plenty for now.   ;D  I'll just say that I have no complaints about the first tank lining I did close to 10 years ago.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.