News:

Main Menu

Wild Weather

Started by h2olawyer, May 22, 2008, 06:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

WOW --

There has been some major weather just East of me today.  At a little before noon, a large tornado hit the town of Windsor, about 10 miles SE of my house.  News stories on the Denver stations are showing lots of helicopter shots.  Just saw a photo of the tornado - it was one of those really wide types with a large area hitting the ground.  It hit a dairy farm.  If you watch the news, you will likely see a steel frame building with all the sheet metal blown off & some of it collapsed.

This close to the mountains, we normally get either funnel clouds or tall, skinny types of weak tornados.  They get larger the farther from the mountains you go.  Also, the storms usually move from West or Northwest to the East or Southeast.  This storm travelled almost due North and after the tornado lifted, continued to the Northwest.  It caused some possible tornado damage in Laramie, Wyoming as well.  These storms are moving at nearly 50MPH!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Yah heard that on the local news while I ate some lunch. 

Get windy up by you?

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

I remember seeing that cell. That thunderhead must have been 30 miles across.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Just breezy and light rain at my house when the tornado went by.  Some thunder rumbling now, but nothing too severe.

Channel 7 Denver weather had a 3D doppler radar picture that showed the height & shape of the cell.  It was HUGE!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tanno

We had hail and high winds here all day.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

supervision

That sounds like the wind we had last week.  It was the strongest I have seen in this area.  I drive a set of low side hoppers, and I only wanted to go 40 while empty.  Sand was blowing off the open ground, CHP was escourting traffic, when visability got bad.  Then a grass fire started along the edge of the road,  it spread so fast, they stopped the whole freeway,  what a mess!  Traffic was snarled up for 3 hours. I was taking the back roads, trying to finish my last load, The traffic was stop and go, the whole 15 miles, took me 2 hours, for a trip I normally make in 20 minutes.
" border="0