nvdranger

Vacc Leak - nope
Idling correctly - yep
Charging - yep
Carbs Synched - yep
Knocking - nope
Lights staying on - nope
Paint - well lets not go that far.

Would love to have posted last night but the motherboard on my network pc fried. ?Anyways I got home last night with carb cleaner and started sprayin the hell out of stuff. ?After about 15 mins nothin changed and then I notice the hose off the front cyl to yics was collapsed - no problem changed the hose - didn't help. ?To check my gasket in the yics I plugged the rear hose and started the bike for a sec - nope not leaking internally....mmmm...but the bike idles/runs better w/the ports capped...pulled it off/capped off ports and idled like it was suppose to. ?Double checked to synch at 1500 w/o yics and it was still dead on.
Next was to figure out why the lights were staying on. ?Got the headlight out went to pull the connectors apart and couldn't no matter what I did. ?Well I had forgot about these connections when I did the CLR on the rest. ?So I snipped the wires and pulled the ignition cylinder out. ?Take off the bottom of that and it was dirty as all hell, a little spray of wd-40, let it sit and away I went to check if the lights would stay on now - sure didn't. ?Soldered the wires got the ingition back in and she was set to go.
It was about midnight, so I had to take it out. ?After 50 miles no stumble, idled right (didn't want to die at a light like before), and I pulled off the road a couple times to check the charging and made sure lights were ok. ?

Thanks again to the vision gurus that got her going. ?As of now its a cosmetic thing, rear tire, , remove that wheel paint, paint, and a good cleaning (especially the motor) are really needed.

Thanks
Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Per

Hi Keen!
It's god to hear you got it figured out. When you figure out hove to clean your engine, please tell us. It seems to be a nightmare.
/Per

h2olawyer

Glad to hear you've got it running good.  Figured it was something fairly simple at this point, just difficult to diagnose or find.  Should be a good, reliable ride now that you've done the fixes.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

nvdranger

A friend of mine works for a company that basically cleans everything, from diesel semi trucks to restaurants.  They have some special cleaning chemicals I'm gonna try.  Hopefully with the chemicals and a little elbow grease I can it fairly clean.  It let you know what works.  

Ken
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

h2olawyer

Per -

What are you trying to clean off?  If it is that yellowed coating, varnish remover works well - keep it away from gaskets & any painted parts you don't want stripped.  After removing the coating, some simichrome works wonders for shining the aluminum.  Others have ideas as well, I'm sure.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Ok. this is probably just me being picky, but the Idle spec is 1300, but if 1500 works for you I guess that's fine.

since capping off the YICS cured the idle problem you might want to go back and recheck it for leaks, and do a reseal on it.  The YICS moves fuel mixture back & fourth, not just air, so any leak will affect the idle. I got much better choke operation and idling with the YICS resealed and new hoses. (fuel injection hoses work very well, tougher than fuel line)

Just my .02

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nvdranger

what i actually did was only hooked up one of the hoses to the yics and capped off the other (replaced both hoses as well).  then started the bike for a second to check to see if the yics was leaking.  my gasket was holding up and it was not leaking internally or externally, but the bike just ran better w/o it.  it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Ken

Walt_M.

Does anyone know/remember why the YICS is used on this bike? I have always thought it was to inject a little 'swirl' to the intake stream to get a better fuel mixture. With the lean jetting that was being run back then, and the stern warnings not to adjust the stock settings, it probably helped. Since we know we can change the jetting, I think it can be made to run just fine without the YICS.
I'm still running mine and it has been running great for nearly a year but lots of guys are having trouble. It may be time to 'do what it takes' to get it running well. My 2 cents.
Whale oil beef hooked!

nvdranger

well the weather finally change and I got some ridin whether. ?took the bike, of course, and got some grip glue and final gear oil. ?came back change gear oil got the grip on and went back out for the last 2 hours. ?man I love it, saves a lot of gas to ;D.

Ken

edit: oh and i ment to add...is it normal not to have to use the choke at all to start the bike (cold or hot doesn't matter)?? ?i wanted to check b/c being my first bike it seems that is a little odd but i dont know. ?mine fires up after after a couple secs cold and right away when hot

thanks

harry_angel69

You might try giving the throttle a couple, three twists, and then trying to start.  The fuel pump will shoot fuel directly into down into the carbs.  This is what I do and I don't use choke at all anymore.  It does not work on hardly any other carburated bike because of the placement of the carbs.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.