News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Loss of power again.

Started by Brian Moffet, June 03, 2008, 01:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

And in the front cylinder. 

I was driving to work today, turned the corner onto Sunset Dr.  I went about 1/2 mile and then over the rail-road tracks.  At that time, my power dove to almost nothing.  I pulled it off to the side of the road (try to find a side of the road in SF!) and it died.  At least it was different than the last time.  Though having to go through the carbs again did not excite me. I nursed it home, and pulled into the garage. 

I could keep it running if I held the throttle up.  As I did by the side of the road last time, I pulled the rear spark plug and it wouldn't start at all.  That was different.  So, I pulled the lowers off of the front, and looked.  The spark plug cap had come off.  Put that back on, and it started and ran just fine...

Not sure how the spark plug cap got loose...

Brian

h2olawyer

Glad it wasn't serious.  At least you aren't forced to restore it again!

Vibration can do odd things.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

I'm going to blame the roads on the CROV  :o  ;D

Walt_M.

What kind of plug caps are you using? Mine still has the originals and they are not prone to falling off.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Brian Moffet

Went out last night to make sure I put everything back together (and to replace a bolt I found missing on the fairing clamp).  Since the bike was cooler, I reached in a pushed down hard on the spark plug cap, and it clicked even further onto the top.  I suspect that's what happened last time, my fingers just couldn't get a good enough grip on the cap to make sure it was seated completely.

Brian

kiawrench

brian-- many plug caps will do that , esp if the drain holes are blocked . pressure builds up under the rubber boot as you push it down, heat and vibration pop it off. check your drain holes, be sure they are clear .

(pipe cleaner, smal brush , pixie stick, whatever works for you )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Brian Moffet

I'll check that, thanks.

Brian