News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

What's a certified letter?

Started by inanecathode, June 03, 2008, 03:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

So, i finished the certified vin inspection portion of the bonding process to get a title for my tt500. The next step is to try to contact the owner of the title.
Heres what i figure i'm going to do. I've had the bike since 1-8-08, thats 147 days today. Most entities charge storage fees, is there any reason i shouldnt? I figure, after talking to a few local tow companies, 15 or 20 a day is about right for storage fees. That comes to $2,940 in storage fees so far, that doesnt include the hours of labor and purchase price of the bike.
Would it be right of me to include that in the letter trying to contact the guy? Tell him, i have a white yamaha tt500 in possession since 1-8-08, calculated with a $20 per day storage fee that comes to $2940 in storage fees?
I dont know if thats legal or not, if the state would get pissy if i showed that letter as proof of attempt of contact...

Does anyone know what states will accept as 'reasonable attempts to contact' the rightful owner? Honestly i dont really want to contact the guy as im sure he'd like to have a nice running tt500 fixed up for free. Anyone have any ideas?
Also, what exactly is a certified letter, i hear thats the official way of trying to contact someone, but what is it exactly? Just a notarized letter or what?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

I wouldn't do that, yes a certified delivery notification would be good.  However, by saying that there are "storage fees" you're starting off aggressively, which doesn't do much to entice them to aid you.

My thoughts on it are to send a certified delivery notification letter to the previous registered owner stating who you are, that you purchased the bike (and have a bill of sale, you do, right?) and in the process of registering it you need to have him waive all rights to the ownership of the bike.

You don't have to mention its condition, you don't have to mention storage charges, or anything along those lines...

If the letter comes back as undeliverable, or after a reasonable amount of time after you have received the confirmation of delivery, you can probably call it "reasonable attempt". 

The best people, of course, to give you an idea on what a reasonable attempt is would be your DMV...

Brian

kwells

Don't have to mention storage fees or improvements unless they say they want it back.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

Oh yes, in your letter, include a statement along the lines of:

If I don't hear from you by MMM-DD-YYYY, I will take this as you having no claims on the bike.

Or something along those lines.  You'll probably have to give them a month or so.  That way you have several items in your possession:

1) a letter stating you have tried to contact them with a date for response
2) a receipt stating when you sent the letter
3) possibly a receipt stating when they received the letter.

All good stuff in your attempt to contact the title holder.

Brian

h2olawyer

All excellent info.  Start by just asking for surrender of any claims.  Then if the previous owner gets uppity, then move up to the heavier artillery - storage, $$ spent in fixing it, things like that.

To clarify, a Certified Letter is a normal letter, sent through the USPS.  You pay extra for the certification.  It gives you a receipt of mailing.  To add a little more paperwork in your favor, also add a return receipt, so the previous owner initials a card attached to the envelope & sends the card back to you.  You do pay all the postage (for both directions) and all the fees, but it isn't too expensive.

When the mailman delivers the Certified Letter, a signature from the person accepting it is required to show delivery.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Well i one upped the certified letter and called the guy. Found his number in the phone book and gave em a call. I left a message saying "Hi, you dont know me, but i bought a bike in x city as an offroad bike. I attempted to have it titled for street use and found out theres already a title, under your name. I'm just calling to confirm theres no interest in the vehicle, i'm assuming theres not as it was sold 8 years ago. Give me a call back at xxxxx if you have any questions."
I guess a letter is a better but i figure its more legitimate if i actually get confirmation that the guy doesnt want the bike anymore...

Lucky

I think i would have tried a different approach:
"i bought this bike xxx ago, & the guy i bought it from couldn't find the title & thought you might still have it..."

just a thought...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

So the guy called back.
After some reminding he remembered he had one like that ages ago he sold to some dude in pueblo, sans title. He said he has no interest in the bike.
Works for me :)

Brian Moffet

And you avoided borrowing trouble by not telling him what the storage costs would be :-)

Is he going to send you a letter saying he has no interest in it?  (I assume you'll need something to give the DMV)

Brian

inanecathode

No you dont have to provide any proof to the mv, just have to sign a statement of fact.

Lucky

next time someone finds themself in the position of having to ask a PO if they would quit claim on a bike,
you could allways send them this pic of 'the bike', lol

Lucky

oh, & 5 bonus points to any newbie who can tell me what year that bike is...
--L

kwells

well the ball bearings look brand new...hope those got put back in
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Windjammer

I'm gonna go with '82 on account 'a the fact that there's no gold on the rims.

Quote from: Lucky on June 05, 2008, 01:23:10 AM
oh, & 5 bonus points to any newbie who can tell me what year that bike is...
--L

Tiger

Quote from: Windjammer on June 05, 2008, 02:05:27 AM
I'm gonna go with '82 on account 'a the fact that there's no gold on the rims.

:) Only American '83's had gold rim's...so maybe the rim came over the border!!!...and she is sporting twin rotor's...so maybe it's a 198*  ???  Then again it could be an...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

macroars

Silver fork tubes, black rims, dual disc: The frame number seems to start with 11U - or it could be a cross-breed
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Windjammer

Based on the wooden torsion bar, maybe this is one of those rare '71s. Albeit infrequent, you DO see them come up on on ebay every now and then.