News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Should I keep it?

Started by Wayne Johnson, May 26, 2004, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Johnson

I have an '83 that I'm not sure I want to keep.  I bought this new in '85 and I've tried to take good care of it.  However, after neglecting the poor thing and leaving it in the garage for a few years, I just can't seem to get the carbs right.  It just isn't as much fun to ride as it used to be (when the carbs were right).

I guess I am either looking for encouragement so that I will keep working on it until I get it right or I'll need to find someone who will take the time to get it right and enjoy the bike.

It has a little over 40,000 miles, it's on it's third stator, very small dent in the tank, the seat has been recovered, the tires are about due to be replaced.  And the carbs need help.  Other than that it has been a great bike.

So, please tell me what I should do next.  Keep it or sell it??

Walt_M.

An '83 that you've had since new, H*LL yes I'd fix it! Unless you're near Tallahassee, Fl. Then you should sell it to me, cheap.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Brian Moffet

As a fellow "Owned an 83 since new", yes, keep it :-)

Brian

Lucky

All Visions are a rarity, and an 83 even more so, especially with an originaly owned one.

C'mon, you know you'd kick yourself if you sold it...  ;D

Over the years, we've had a lot of people in & out of here who were looking to replace the Vision they sold a while ago.

Q: have you ever had the valves adjusted? I'm sure at 40K they are due.

We are here to help with any problem you might have.  to start, cut out the connections on the R/R solder them. then move the R/R to the passenger foot peg bracket. your charging system will last a lot longer if the R/R can actually get some cool air instead of being trapped over the rear exhaust.

check out my site, Vision Resources, at: http://www.xz550.com for lots more tips.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

As an original owner of an '82 since '84, I'm jealous and join everybody else urging you to keep it.

I, too, neglected mine for several years a couple times in its life.  The first time I rebuilt my carbs, it ran about like I remembered - not great & BIG stumble.  After putting in many evening hours last summer, I got it running better than it did when new.  Lucky's carb cleaning instructions helped a lot and synchronizing the carbs at idle, 2500 & 5,000 RPM was the capper.

I'm so happy with mine now that I wouldn't trade it even for an '83.  Might look to buy one in the next few years but will keep the '82 until I can't find or make parts for it anymore.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Wayne Johnson

Ok, it seems that everyone else here wants me to keep the bike.  I guess I'll have to work on finding the time to work on it (again).  I might just brake down and take it to a shop.....

but that takes $$$$.

Well, maybe I'll get started on it tomorrow.

Rick G

Thats Ok , your not likley to find a shop thats willing or even knows any thing about  it!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

But we do!!  ;D ;D
with our help. you'll be riding in no time.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nvdranger

listen to these guys and they will get you up and running in no time.  this is my first bike and i'm not much of a wrench when it comes to bikes.  took me the last 2 months or so and she is up and running.  not if i could only get this charging system working right this weekend.
Stick w/it and these guys will deffinetly get you through everything.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

crazyjimmy

Dont listen to these guys, they are nuts. What you need to do is sell that bike to me for 100 dollars and delivery it too!

LOL, I hope one day this will work.

Jim

Wayne

One more thing to get in the way of getting my '83 running right again.  I just bought a new bike, the kind you peddle.  I have been riding it to work so that I can stay healthy.  I think I like this.  So far it has been much less work then my Vision.  I have not yet given up on the vision, but I don't see me starting work on it soon.

Sable

Wayne,

My Vision sat in a dirty, dusty and leaky barn for over two years. All I did to get it running (when I finally had the time to work on it) was replace the starter, line the gas tank with POR-15, and have Lucky show me how to rebuild the carbs. Since the carbs are your only problem, you are a head of the game!
     Now, I was always told growing up that I was mechanically inclined, that is I screw up everything, so if I can learn to rebuild the carbs... anyone can learn ;D
     Have faith and ask a lot of questions, this place is better than any haynes manual, at leat I think so.

Best of luck with your ride,

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

ArrrGeee

Hi Wayne,
 I heard you say 'great bike' so I know you want to hang on to it.  getting it straightened out shouldn't be all that bad
just like any vehicle, it's going to require maintenance.
the difficult part is the fact that the bike has been around for 20 years and so requires a bit more maintenance than when it was new.

one thing I will say tho' is do not listen to crazyjimmy and sell the bike to me ;)  lol

heh, I rode my bicycle to work yesterday in fact but I wouldn't give up my vision for that, for one thing it doesn't have as much power  ;D although it does get better milage than the v, I also can't put my wife on the back of my bicycle either, and I wouldn't consider putting 400 or 500 miles a day on it as well.

hey, we are here if you need help, everything you could possibly want to know about this bike is located somewhere in these pages.

hth
-Ron