Reaquired 82 Vision

Started by RACEFAN3624, June 28, 2004, 10:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RACEFAN3624

I bought a 1982 Vision new in 1984 and put 6900 miles on it in two years of trouble free riding. In mid summer 1986, I was working on a car in my driveway with my vision parked in front of the car in garage, I reached in the driver side window of car and turned ignition key to see if it would start, it did but I had neglected to set brake and make sure car was in nuetral, it wasn't, car meets Vision, car wins!!!                      

The Vision is declared a total loss by insurance company,bent forks they said, and is purchased by my father and put in his garage where it sat, forgotten about, for 18 years. Now my father is moving and asked me if I wanted it back. So now I have reaquired it and I am going to try to put it back on the road. cosmetically the bike is in very good shape engine looks new, most of the paint is still very good. I have begun the process of rebuilding, found out forks were not bent but top of tripple tree was twisted, was able to straighten.

Cleaned out carburetors ang got the Vision started but only runs on front cylinder ran compression test (100 front 50 rear) which obviusly is a problem. my question is, is there a common problem that I should look for, maybe valves or rings?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

kiawrench

if the engine was running god when you parked on top of the bike it should be easy to tease her right back--

go down to local autoparts store and buy a spray can of "pb blaster" remove spark plugs from both cylinders, spray a good bit of the stuff in each hole. let it sit over night, then place rags over spark plug holes and spin it over a few times,let it rest a few minutes, then do it spin it over again.
  this will unstick the rings in rear cylinder, if that is the problem.it will also disolve any carbon built up on valve seals, allowing full compression in each cylinder. if it doesnt fix it,, may need to borrow a borescope and look into rear cylinder,, see what may be keeping you from having compression.
  be advised, this will make bike smoke like the house is on fire when you reinstall plugs,, but it will clear up in a few minutes.
   once it is running on both cylinders, you can run some sea foam through the fuel system, clean it all up fron the inside. if carbs still dont act right after that, you wil need to dip them, see the links to lucky's pge for directions .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

nvdranger

i thought the rear cylinder not firing was an issue with the rev limiter, is that not correct?  either way I would make sure to snip that wire from the tci anyways (to avoid problems in the future).  I found it:
Quote#6 Rear cylinder misfire
If after ruling out coils, plugs and wires by swapping components, the problem still persists, try disconnecting the black wire with the yellow stripe at the TCI 6 wire connector.  This wire is connected to the rev limiter in the tach, and tells the TCI to kill the rear cylinder until a lower rpm is reached. Problems with the rev limiter can cause the misfire
This is from lucky's site, //www.xz550.com, check out his top ten problems and that will deffinetly get you going.

Hope this helps.
Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Lucky

And I got that from Leathers site.  I have reason to suspect though that sometimes the rev limiter is rigged to cut out the front cylinder instead. Other Visionaries have reported that cutting the rev limiter wire have solved the cut out problem on eiter cyl.. anyway it costs nothing to try.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nvdranger

the front cylinder cutting out was the issue that made the previous owner of my bike put it away.  i have yet to have a problem :D, knock on wood.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

RACEFAN3624

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try all.
by the way can someone tell me an easy way to distinguish rev limiter wire?
did not get a chance to work on it tonight, hopefully will have more time tomorrow. :)
     Mark

h2olawyer

Try the Black wire with the yellow stripe @ the TCI. ?That is the rev limiter circuit.

Quote#6 Rear cylinder misfire
If after ruling out coils, plugs and wires by swapping components, the problem still persists, try disconnecting the black wire with the yellow stripe at the TCI 6 wire connector. ?This wire is connected to the rev limiter in the tach, and tells the TCI to kill the rear cylinder until a lower rpm is reached. Problems with the rev limiter can cause the misfire
(See reply # 2 above)

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

Looks like others have covered the cylinder cut-out issue, but, I agree with kiawrench and think it is stuck rings, hence the low cylinder pressure. What concerns me more is your top triple clamp. It is an aluminum part and I would not be comfortable with bending and restraightening it. Think about what would happen if it broke while you were riding. See if somebody has a replacement and send yours to the recycling bin.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Jon

Just a thought... if you fill your cylinder with PB blaster and let it sit, I would change the oil right quick.

RACEFAN3624

AHH, the black wire with the yellow stripe, Will look for that. thanks  :) should have read reply number two completely.

I don't beleive top triple tree clamp to be bent, but twisted on shaft? Is this possible? It seems when I loosened center bolt and applied only slight pressure everything lined up better.  I could be wrong but it seems all is lined up by center bolt and forks?

Anyway tonight I pulled spark plugs again and soaker both cylinders in pb blaster, will let sit till tomorrow night and see what happens.

Thanks again for all help

Mark

ArrrGeee

from your description I'd say, probably not bent
just needs a "wheel alignment"
Rick G. can probably give you a better description, but basically
loosen everything up except the top triple clamp holding the upper tubes, straighten out your wheel and forks, bounce the front end a few times, get the front wheel off the ground with a jack and start tightening from the top down, tightening the axle pinch bolt last. while not the most scientific method, that should get you in the ball park to bring it to a shop and have them get it right.  

-Ron

Walt_M.

Ron, you are probably dead on here! I hadn't thought about that but it was a common problem with dirt bikes in the early '70s. I remember the first time I did it, '71 RT-1B, I slid out going about 20mph, thought I had ruined my new bike! Ha-ha, the good old days!
Whale oil beef hooked!

RACEFAN3624

WOW, pb blaster, I had never heard of it till tuesday. It works ;D Rear cylinder now has 150 psi, front 120. Vision is running on both cylinders now. I actualy rode it around my neighborhood tonight, eight tenths of a mile, first time I have ridden that bike in 18 years :D It felt great!!!
however still needs fine tuning, could not get it to stay running without feathering throttle or 2/3 choke, I am now going to red my trusty old haynes manual, see if I can adjust carbs to get it to run better.

Thanks for everyones help, you guys are my new best freinds :)

Mark

Lucky

Racefan,
Run a full can (or 2) of Berrymans Fuel injector cleaner thru the tank, it's the closest you'll come short of a dip & rebuild to getting the carbs cleaned out.  Since it's been sitting so long, it's a safe bet you'll end up rebuilding it eventually anyway. I've rebuilt dozens of Vision carbs, and some of the passages are only a few hundreths of an inch in Diameter.

One warning though, if your tank is coated with Kreem or other 'vynal' like substance, DON'T use the berrymans in it. you'll desolve the coating & PERMANANTLY plug the carbs. (thus needing to buy a set from me  ;D

--Lucky

RACEFAN3624

Lucky,
I dont beleive the tank to be coated with anything. I bought bike new and I never coated it, is it coated with anything from factory?
  Mark

P.S. How much?

Lucky

I don't remember how much, 5 or 6 bucks.  If you've never coated the tank it's likely that you have rust forming in the low corners of the tank where you can't see it.  water collects there (from condensation) over the years, and since they are below the petcock. there it sits, rusting away, as soon as the bike becomes statioary.

Solution: POR-15 tank coating. NOTHING harms this stuff, and the motorcycle tank kit only runs $35-$40 I have a link on my site, but I believe the URL is http://www.por-15.com

--Lucky

RACEFAN3624

Lucky,
I meant how much for your carbs :)
 thanks again
   Mark

Lucky

Oh, you mean you want to buy a set of MY carbs, lol ok, you can email me, but you'll probably find them cheaper here or on Ebay...