News:

Main Menu

loose calipers

Started by Lucky, July 25, 2008, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

i swaped out the corroded (but working) caliper that was on Cafe bike for one that i had gotten, in nice shape, several years ago.  the 'new' one is missing the smaller bellows on the slider piece, but i installed it anyway, loaded with a liberal dose of grease.  i figured that since the one on the old one had turned to mush, it would be ok till i could find another.

long story short, i can't firm up the brakes.  i have some slop at the caliper from the bellows missing.  since the old ones are gooey, i haven't taken them apart.

does anyone know if the bellows would fix the slop or am i missing a bushing?
i'd think that would help firm things up too.
are the bellows ava by themselves? or do i have to buy a kit
anyone have a good used one? (posting in swap shop too)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Those small bellows should be available by themselves.  They are only there to keep dirt and stuff from getting around the slider rods.  Or are you thinking of the larger one between the caliper and the sliding section?

If they are the ones I'm thinking of:

Brian

Lucky

yup, that's them but on the missing one, the pin is very loose (we're talikung a 1/16th of an inch at least) so i'm thinking the part that presses in must have some sort of bushing built into it...

Brian Moffet

Parts are:

SKU: 4X8-25917-00-00       15.57
SKU: 5R2-25937-00-00       13.55

at PowerSportsPro.com

Maybe you're right.  They slide into the the main caliper for 11 (slider for 10) and then the fit onto a notch on the pins so that the expand and contract as necessary. I don't have mine anymore, they were pretty bad as you can see in the photos.  They take a lot of abuse from brake fluid or fork oil.  If there is a bushing, it's just the rubber providing it.  There wasn't any additional bushing in the part.

Brian

Brian Moffet

Which one are you missing?  (I can see if I still have it and if it's good.) 

Lucky

5R2-25937-00-00 for #11
boot for the thinner pin

Brian Moffet

Unfortunately, I can guarantee I don't have those. You can see in the photos that they had basically dissolved into goo on that brake assembly, and the other side was just as bad.  And I remember now that both boots had a portion that slid into the main caliper housing and provided a little additional support like a bushing.

Sorry.

Brian

Lucky

just for now i'm going to see if i can 'degoo' the one i have to use to provide the support, temporarily till i can replace it, at this point i'm more concerned about a firm brake lever.

Lucky

i took the old one apart & found that there is indeed a rubber bushing that fits on the end of the pin in a wide groove. mine was good enough to reuse, but the bellow is toast.  this is NOT the metal press in ring that is part of the bellows, so i still need the bellows.

--Lucky

Rick G

Monday I can dig in the shed and see what I have.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Thanks Rick, Shop Rat has one for me

jasonm.

that bellows keeps dirt out and grease in, nothing more.It's metal on metal. You guys know to grease this...right...?  Well the slider pins are replaceable and are threaded. But not listed in the Yamaha parts as a seperate item.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules