News:

Main Menu

Swing question

Started by Per, June 28, 2004, 07:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per

Hi!
My rear tyre is not centered in the swing. Clearance between tyre and swing is much wider on the right side. Is it supposed to be like that?
If not, what can I do?
/Per
I have pictures but I don't know how to put them in the message.

nvdranger

sorry i cant help, but I will look when I get home.  As far as pics go, you will have to download them to www.imagestation.com (free site) or something similar - i always use my cardomain.com site and link to there by right clicking the pic copy the entire http..... and use the around it.  hope this will work for you.  

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Walt_M.

Tire clearance is greater on the right rear but, if you suspect a problem, use a string to check that the front and rear are tracking in line. Put it on the centerstand on a good level surface, put the handlebars straight ahead, fasten the string to the rear tire(duct tape it to the tread?) and pull it forward past the front tire. Measure the distance from the front tire to the string then do it again on the other side. You'll have to get down on your knees to do this but then you will know if you have a problem.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

Wow - your tire & wheel are not centered in your swing arm? ? :o ?Sell It NOW!!! ?- Just kidding. ?No worries. ?There are about 3 inches between the rim & right side of the swing arm and about 1 3/4 inches on the left (driveshaft) side. ?(measuring from flat of rim, just below the bead flare - see photos below)

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Per

OK, thank you all. I'll check it all tomorrow.
/Per

By the way these are my pictures

Walt_M.

What size tire are you running back there? I'm running a 120/90 and it looks like you have less clearance that I do.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Per

I have 120/90 to. I measured today and it seems like i have the same rim clearance as H2O. Maybe I can keep the bike after all.
/Per