News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Can't ride for a while

Started by VisionMeister, June 25, 2008, 11:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

I went out for a load of firewood on Monday. I had scouted out some down oaks on my Vision on Saturday and went back and cut a good load. After unloading at home I cleaned out the back of my truck with a pushbroom. I went to jump off the tailgate and landed my left foot on the broom which folded my ankle over to the sound of breaking bones. My foot was dangling like a useless appendage off the end of my leg and my ankle had some very unusual lumps growing out of it which were quickly expanding.
After a trip to the hospital and three hours of surgery I now am plated and screwed back together with a cast from my toes to my knee. Can't ride for a while.
Worse yet this may keep me from doing my annual trip to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP. I'll get an update in about 10 days when I go in for a followup exam.
The other bummer is that this happened 7 days before our family health insurance plan takes effect. I am uninsured for this accident.

kwells

oh man that sucks in so many ways.
Sorry to hear.  Can you find a way to operate the controls with your hands?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

joevacc

-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

h2olawyer

OUCH!  I really feel for you, VisionMeister.  That sucks.   :'(

I'll try to take up some slack by riding extra miles in your honor.  I'll dedicate to you, only those turns that feel awesome.   ;D

Time to rig a suicide shift.   ;)

Heal fast!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

sounds like something i'd do...:8

heal fast!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

steve

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!  Don't listen to those guys, stay off your feet and heal as fast as you can!  It takes time but you'll be back soon enough.  We need our fearless leader for future rides!
Steve

kiawrench

ok, i thought i was the one that kept doctors playing golf ??   sorry to hear, but one word of serious note, ask your dr for a pocket card that shows your new steel plate work,, this will be a life saver entering courthouse,airport, and even some public venues .   saves the body cavity search too....          dont ask ,,, but yes been there , didnt get a t-shirt .

truthfully, take your time, dont push healing, you will get better result and be back soon enough .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Superfly

Really sorry to hear about your mishap VM, Heal quick so your bikes don't get too lonely.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

supervision

The good part in this report, at least you didn't do it on your motorbike! 
" border="0

VisionMeister

Yeah, those damn pickup trucks are dangerous.

h2olawyer

Maybe pickups should be banned.   ;D  Or they could try to legislate the elimination of ankles.   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Ron_McCoy

Actually a shifter modification will get you back on the road though you'll have to watch out for those toes if they're exposed.  Don't ask me how I know.  Broken bones definitely suck.  Sorry to hear you've got some.

Ron

Coil Coyle

Craig,

Sorry to hear you are down.
:P
            Just pre-drove the road to Agness; it is a great road for bikes. Let's pencil in a spring ride next year?
The GP could be handled with one of those folding aluminum framed bicycle-tired wheel chairs; and a couple of friends to push.

;)
Coil

Tiger

:( Sorry to here of your injury...thats a real bummer. So easy to do!!! Rest up and get well soon... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Visionmeister,
Sorry to hear about your injury too.  From a healthcare providers standpoint, if you get any cramping in your calf's or shortness of breath, contact your doctor right away.  Leg injuries are prone to blood clots forming in the lower leg which can travel to the lung and cause major problems...it happened to my brother in law after knee surgery.
Ask your doctor about taking some aspirin along with your regular pain regimen...especially if you are older.  Again, ASK your doctor first before you do though.
I wish you a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)