Starter Rebuild Kit (and a question about repair)

Started by motorcyclezen, June 28, 2008, 09:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcyclezen

Just ordered a rebuild kit from eBay. Yup, I tapped the starter with a mallet back in April, and I remember a couple of riders mentioning the need for a rebuild soon. Of course, I was having so much fun riding, I forgot about it (about 1200 miles). The bike doesn't turnover anymore.

Anyway, has anyone else ordered a repair kit from the "14rebuilders" site? The Kit was about $48US + $6.50 shipping

Kind of too late, since I ordered it already, but I was just wondering how good they were.

So here's the repair question. Looking at the manual when it talks about removing the starter it refers me back to the steps for "engine disassembly." Do I really have to pull the side cover to get to the starter? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Ed--

QBS

No.  Drain the oil.  Remove the large black power wire from its lug.  Remove the two bolts at the end of the starter that attach it to the engine.  Pull the starter out straight across the engine.  It'll probably be stuck in there tightly, so wiggle on the way out.

Lucky

And really, would it have killed Yamaha to taper that mounting hole slightly??...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

motorcyclezen

Thanks, brothers.

Lucky mentioned an oil filter swap out as well (since the oil is drained). Are the filters hard to come by?

Ed--

Brian Moffet

I usually just get mine from the dealer...  They still seem to fit okay  ;D

kiawrench

i have been using 14 rebuilders for quite a while, not only for vision parts and stuff , but for other bikes, and some car stuff too . they ship neat and fast, the kits ,like the one for the vision are the most complete i have ever seen, and i can tell you this, the products they sell are not junk ,, the seals and brushes last longer than sorenson and electrotech stuff,  i have a box due in from them this week  a vision kit, starter for a 75 bmw (reman ) and a new alternator main winding for my 92 chev pickup with set of brushes . best price, good stuff, delivery inside of a week. gets my vote .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

macroars

I have removed my starter several times without draining the oil.

Just rise the front in a way or another (I elevates the front with a tackle from the roof) until there is no oil to spot in the window.

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Rick G

Be sure to apply lots of grease to the o ring on the nose (the one Yamaha gets 14.00 for) they can  tend to snag and tear up upon reinstallation.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike