News:

Main Menu

glueing down grips

Started by ps2/bikevision, July 01, 2008, 01:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

ive been riding the vision alot now that the fzr is gone. the other day it was cool, about 60 F. and raining, so i kicked on my heated grips. ive had them for awhile now and i tell you what they were well worth the $30. problem is now my grips are loose. the heat from the gips let the glue soften or somthing and now i cant keep them from spinning i cleaned them up really good the first time it happened and reglued them with the grip glue that came with them. the set up nice till i kick the heat on and then they just start spinning again. any one know how to glue them down so they wont spin after using the heaters.

they are the same ones motorplow installed.  hey motorplow do you have this problem.

tben

Have you tried wiring them down like motocross grips?
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

vadasz1

Try using two part epoxy glue, like the 10 minute epoxy set.  Once that stuff cures all hell has to break loose for it to let go of its hold.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

zore

Heat and glue don't generally work well together.  I just use water to slide them on and hope have not had an issue.  I believe I have the same heated grips as you on my 675.  I have sprint st heated grips on the R5.5
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

williamruck

Quote from: vadasz1 on July 01, 2008, 08:10:53 AM
Try using two part epoxy glue, like the 10 minute epoxy set.  Once that stuff cures all hell has to break loose for it to let go of its hold.

Definitely try the epoxy resin, that stuff does a great job.

Rick G

I used cheap hair spray to install heated grips , works great and easier to remove than epoxy ,if you need to change grips.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

67GTO

The PO of my bike had some crappy glue on mine. I just cleaned all the glue off, put alcohol on the bars and grips and slid them on. They have not moved at all. (But they are the original grips and no hand warmers)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

QBS

Slightly OT.  If one has never tried foam grips then one hasn't experianced the best comfort ones' V has to offer.  Once one tries the comfort of the foam, one will never be satisfied with the hard grips again on any MC.

67GTO

QBS

Is ther a brand you recomend, say from Dennis Kirk?

h2olawyer

I've had a couple sets of Grab-Ons.  Both the "superbike" and the "comfort" series.  One is neoprene, the other is nitrile foam.  Forget which, but it doesn't matter, as both work great.  The first pair lasted for close to 20 years, but I only got about 2 from the second set as they do not put up with the abuse from "Canyon Dancer" handlebar tie-downs.

Best part is, they run under $10 a set.

In total agreement with QBS - comfort of foam grips is amazing.  In addition, if you have large hands, they are larger diameter & they just tend to fit my grip better than either stock or any other aftermarket grips you might try.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

I've bought mine from the BMW store.  Don't know which model they were for.  Probably doesn't matter where you get them from as long as they match the handle bar OD (1 7/8", I think, but not totally sure).

I used the hair spray lacquer mounting approach with good nonslip results.  NEAT TIP:  My foam grips were a little longer than the throttle handle bar, so I slipped the throttle grip on under compression hard against the handle bar switch assembly.  The end result was an excellent throttle lock.  No more having to continually grip the hand grip in a death grip to hold the throttle steady.  Just hold on lightly and enjoy the relaxation.

YellowJacket!

I have tried the hairspray method and it didn't work for me.  I have a set of dual color (yellow and black of course) rubber grips that I got from Dennis Kirk.com. The left one won't come off for nothin but the right one tends to slide a bit.  For the last application I used spray on super contact cement.  Comes in a spray can and is supposed to hold just about everything.....except motorcycle grips.  Gonna have to clean the rubber boogers out of it and find something a little more tacky.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

67GTO

OK I picked up a pair of grips. I removed the old ones. On the throttle side do you file off the
white plastic knobs on the end? I would think it would be too hard to slide the new grips over them, and it would leave the grip all lumpy at the end right?

h2olawyer

The foam grips hide the bumps great.  I currently have some grey rubber grips on mine.  It was difficult to get the throttle side on, but it does go.  There are some minor bumps at the end of that grip, but nothing really noticeable unless you are looking for it.  I don't notice them when riding.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I removed the bumps on mine , they don't seem to have any purpose , except to aggravate  anyone installing grips. Dave , I'm at a loss to explain the failure of the hair spray method , I've used it for a long time and its never failed. Try more hair spray?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

67GTO

Yes, I did file down the knobs on the end. New grips went on fine with alcohol.

ps2/bikevision

i tried the hairspray too. used to work great on my bicycle but didnt work well with the heated grips. one of the of the guys from local yamaha shop told me to try honda cement