Main Menu

Flapper door

Started by macroars, July 01, 2008, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

mac; if you are getting good acceleration from 3-6k without any stumble along with good gas mileage... and not running hot.... I'd say you're in good shape...

typically, that's where most peeps ride... most of the time.

you can adjust the pilot screws for optimal top end acceleration, most likely fatten them up, but the stumble may return, your starting routine may suck, and/or your bottom end may suffer....

you can adjust the pilot screws for optimal gas mileage, lean them out, but the stumble may return, your starting routine may suck and/or your top end may suffer AND you'll run hot....

what everyone needs to realize on these carbs is they are not ECU/FI/o2 sensor controlled fuel management systems....
they are automotive downdraft style carbs and NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.... you will eventually end up with some sort of compromise you can live with 98% of the time  ;)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Wut? Dude, you need top end acceleration. The bike should idle, run off idle, mid throttle, and full throttle. I wouldnt accept any different on anything i ride, it came out of the factory running well, it should run well now.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

I would get a stock, vacuum operated flapper . Your problem may be related to the flapper.  It should rev strongly to 9500 rpm . I would not blame the carbs until I had a proper flapper setup.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Yeah, those flapper doors are nothing but trouble.  I just took mine off...

Brian

Oh, yes, then I rebuilt the bike and put it back on...