News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Fun with the Voltmeter

Started by tizod, June 26, 2004, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tizod

Ok...Today I got my friends digital voltmeter and here are the results.

I first checked the battery when the bike was completely cold.  The reading was 12V.

I then tried to start her and she almost turned over but could not quite do it.  When I tried again I got that "click-click-click-click-click-click" sound.

Checked it again and the battery reading was now at 11.6.

I then jumped the bike off my car battery and she fired right up.

Checked it after it ran for a few minutes and it dropped to 11.1.  Then, after several more minutes of her running she dropped to 10.6.

Now...differnet problem/subject.

I had the choke on full and at first she idled very smooth but as soon as I gave her a rev it went back to idle at about 3K RPMS.  So I then dropped the choke back to where she was running at about 2500RPM.  When I reved it sounded a little strained and then the idle dropped down to the point where she almost died and the only thing that saved it was putting the choke back on full.

Any clues to what that is?
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

Lucky

Your charging system is d-e-a-d. you need to download the Electrex Fault-finding chart (http://www.electrexusa.com)and test the system. plan on replacing the stator & R/R, moving the R/R to the left foot peg bracket (or other cooler location of your choice) & soldering the connections. you'll have a hard time getting the V to run right with a bad charging system. ?you can run it jumped to a (non running) car battery in the mean time to play with your carb adjustments.
figure on a full carb tear-down & cleaning if you haven't already done so.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tizod

Crap...crap...and more crap!  >:(

Oh well...thanks for the input.  Looks like I have a long road ahead.
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

h2olawyer

Welcome to the brotherhood of the fried stator & R/R.  I can empathize with you - just did mine a little over a month ago.  Oh well, it is a good time to do the starter clutch & balance shaft fixes while you're in there.  (see Lucky's site for those details)
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

tizod

:'(

Ok...I am done crying.

What am I looking at in terms of cost to fix this latest issue?

Back_in_the_Saddle

Hey Tizod, If you decide to do the starter clutch let me know I've done mine already and have a fly wheel puller you can borrow. They are ten bucks at Pep Boys so don't feel obligated. Also, have you dialed in that carb yet, when you start is it revving high or have you balanced that out, if so how many turns front and back on the mixture screws, Thanks

tizod

Thanks BITS...

I have to be honest that I am a bit "put off" with the bike at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed what I have learned and I certainly have appreciated everyone's assistance.  It's just that I thought this was going to be more then just a project bike.  I thought this was going to be my main bike.  

I have been itching to ride for years and when I bought this bike I thought it was going to be a cheap way for me to get on a bike after I completed a few simple repairs.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

No biggie though....it just gives me an excuse to just suck it up and go get the one I have been wanting for years...

scootertramp

thats a goode lookin' honda!
I'll buy your vision! I was lookin' one more..
does it have a key? I gots to throw mine away I guess cause the dang key is missing. ahahaha.
so where are you toddy my  earth brothah?

me 8)
me at work :'(
me at eighty-five ;D
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

h2olawyer

Cost to get new Stator & R/R is about $250.  Electrex is a little more than Rick's.  Other R/Rs will work - search earlier posts and you may find one on ebay or at your local bike junkyard for cheap (reliability issues with that option).  You could also rewind your stator like scootertramp did.  He had good success so far and saved himself tons of $$ plus learned a new skill.

Sure is a pretty, shiny new bike photo.  Cool if you like the pseudo-Harley look.  How much for that vs. a few hundred in parts + sweat equity to resurrect the Vision?  Not to mention the satisfaction of getting it running well again.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

have fun cleaning/adjusting spokes & replacing chains & sprockets. that will never give you the satisfaction of doing a few simple repairs and turning your Vision into a reliable twisty-burnin machine...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

tizod

I'm not saying that I am giving up on her ?::)

All I am saying is that this "project" is going to take me a lot longer then I had inticipated.

My original plan was to get this one up and running and putter around on it until I got into the position to buy the other one. ?Then I would have two. ?My "cruiser" and my "sport bike."

Now it looks like I can get my cruiser first while I continue working on the Vision.

The big pisser with this bike is that even after I get it running it has a $250 registration issue to take care of.  Stoopid DMV.

Back_in_the_Saddle

Hey Tizod, I feel your pain. Most of these guys have the benefit of having ridden a Vision. We are struggling towards it. Its easy to be mad, and toss aside something , we do not have the benefit of the experience of riding this thing and so our goal is one we've never experienced. Being in very similar shoes, I understand. Quite frankly if I had the money, I would never have picked this bike up. However, I don't, so here I am. Happy it starts, frustrated cuz its running like sh*t, and I'm in the Vision limbo I mentioned earlier. Don't let anyone give you sh*t one way or another. I'm still trying to figure what scootertramp says most of the time but it's clear there's a little pressure. And the others, they just want you to experience what they know. Sit back, have a beer, then kick the Vision one more time, and decide. Good Luck, and let us know, we're interested.

harry_angel69

I accually almost bought an 1100 shadow about two weeks before I came accross my vision.  The only reason I did not was it was sold when I came to my senses.  In retrospect it would have been way too heavy for a starter bike anyway (it was purple with purple flames what's up with that).  I have to sync the carbs on my vision again, because my brother-in-law layed it down last week, but that's what makes it mine.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

tizod

Like I said...I will keep my Vision and hope to get her running one of these days but I know that is a long way away.

Right now, even if I could get her to start on her own, I don't feel confident with how reliable this bike is going to be not to mention how safe it will be (I still have a lot to do with the brakes).

To be honest, I have been pushing myself a little too hard because of my desire to just get out and ride that I failed to realize how long this project was going to take and what exactly was involved.

But...I dig it.  I am having fun working on it and plan to continue to do so.

It just so happens that I landed a new job recently and can finally afford the bike I have always been wanting (assuming they don't fire me  :P).

I haven't given up yet.

PS> I laughed my ass off about what you said about Scootertramp.   ;D ;D  I have the same issue..but I am getting much better at understanding his posts in under 3 read throughs.

Bruce

I know your pain Tizod.. I picked up the Vision for a cheap ride till I could afford something better.. Has spent more time in my dining room than on the road since.. Pushed myself this spring to get it on the road and spun a bearing less than 100kms out.. Going to a Suzuki demo ride tomorrow, that Marauder is looking nicer all the time, and I can probably afford it..

Like you said, it is nice to have a project, but it would be nicer to ride..

Cheers,

Bruce.

Rick G

Its easier to love the Vision after you've ridden it.
I said this speel before but I think I''l say it again. Someone and time have gotten a lot of the good out of you Vision ( or it would have been cheap or free.  So , you are going to have to put the good back into it. Its not that hard or expensive to do and the satifaction of doing it will be your prize .
The repairs necessary to make it ridable and reliable  won't come any where close to  the cost of buying  a new bike or even second hand one. hang in there.
The only person who understands what scooter is saying is Ron , they both speak misic!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

nvdranger

::)charging system is my problem now.  at least you were at home and not 30 minutes away when you found the problem.  trying to push start those mother f'ers sucks.  BITS, tizod, and I are all in the same boat and all started about the same time.  This is my first bike, thought I would be riding after a month of work, and its now 4 months later.  frustration and patience is something learned, especially w/an old bike and no working knowledge of a bike.  well the light at the end of the tunnel is now visible for me, my r/r from a cx500 came in last week and the stator should be here or will be tomorrow.  gonna tend to those starter clutch bolts and balancing rod thingie at the same time.

Patience is a virtue and you should take more pride in what you build, not what you can buy.  My moto has always been real trucks are built, not bought.  its changed a bit with this project to real bikes are built, not bought.  why do you think the harley guys take so much pride in there bikes, it b/c they have to fix the damn things after every ride or two.  I'm done rambling now.  Good luck!!

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike