News:

Main Menu

Whats this?

Started by inanecathode, July 03, 2008, 01:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/741412398.html

It says its a virago, but final chain drive? Stamped steel frame?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

QBS

It's a neat, typical Yamaha, two year wonder.  Same basic engine as a Virago, but never called a Virago by Yamaha.  I would like to have one.  They got my attention when new.  But, then I saw the '83 V and the rest is history.

Rick G

Its nicknamed the "European virago"  neat bike , always wanted one , much better riding position than the shaft drive cruiser version, 920 cc,  Seems to be rarer than the Vision. Guzzi John has one, so does another vnary , I forget who , but its listed at the bottom of his posts. I have a road  test if any one wants to read it , I'll copy it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Glyn

They come up occasionally over here (NZ). There is some good stuff on the net about them also. I've always liked them but I think in real terms they are a bit grey porridge. Looks like a Jap vincent, but really more a mild tourer. Has the (dis) advantage of the Virago dodgey starter clutch mechanism. Some thing to do on those rainy days... I reckon the Vision is twice as good, but good spot.

Walt_M.

Didn't they have an enclosed drive chain too? Wonder how those are holding up? Interesting bike though.
Whale oil beef hooked!

VisionMeister

My cousin had one and I had the opportunity to ride with him.
It's a very slow revving tourqmonster. One of those bikes that makes you wonder how it goes so well when it sounds like its loafing. Heavy ponderous steering but does ok in the twisties because of the narrow vee twin.
An oddity of a cult bike. I think there are more Visions out there.

inanecathode

Just looks like a really cool concept. Yamaha v twin with shaft drive, plus all the electrical goodies of the vision :)
Dunno if i'd ever get a virago though, too cruisery for me.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

I've seen probably 3 of them in 10 years , there a collectors item . The enclosed chain works very well, reduces maintenance  to a minimum. It has a hugger fender , that bobs up and down with the motion of the rear wheel.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

vadasz1

well the post is deleted now.......too bad  ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.