News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

'83 To Be Junked

Started by Shop Rat, July 03, 2008, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

I used to do them all the time when I first got my V......but now I'm happy just riding it normal like....plus we're both a little to old to be doing that......ok well maybe just me.

Shop Rat

Good idea! Thanks. If the tank really is solid, I'll fix the dent.

Quote from: Rick G on July 08, 2008, 07:15:57 PM
Before you destroy the gas cap, pull the tank and take it to a locksmith , he can "tap" out a new key . It costs 20.00 around here.
Don't worry about not doing wheelies I'm 66 and have ridden for 47 years and was NEVER worth a crap at wheelies, not even on a dirt bike. I've hit a few  rises in the road  and carried the front end for a few feet , but that was the bikes idea , not mine.
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

pullshocks

What kind of shape is the windscreen in?

Shop Rat

Windscreen has no cracks or gouges and very little scratching. It's a bit yellowed from exposure, but some careful polishing should improve it. I like the looks of the fairing parts.  Maybe it's a sign of old age, but I prefer that 80s look to the later Transformers style bodies on sport bikes. 

Frank

Quote from: pullshocks on July 09, 2008, 01:12:45 AM
What kind of shape is the windscreen in?
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Shop Rat

I love the look of the plain braided lines.  I've seen the color ones, and they're OK, but I prefer the form-follows-function school.  FC

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 08, 2008, 04:36:03 PM
If you are worried about aesthetics, there are braided stainless lines available with colored plastic coatings.  I gave some serious thought to installing some blue lines when I did mine.  You can see the braided texture through the coatings.  Ended up with the clear, though.  I did mine before the Galfer lines from Sum of All Parts became known on eBay.

'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Shop Rat

I guess it makes sense to stick with the 1-disc set-up for now but to keep looking for that dual.

Frank

Quote from: Tiger on July 08, 2008, 06:05:10 PM
Quote from: Shop Rat on July 08, 2008, 02:56:19 PM
Which means I'll need an '83 right-side fork tube, correct?  That should be slightly harder to find than Bigfoot.

Frank

:) Sorry Frank, but no...You need BOTH lower tubes.......as well as the two rotors and a right side caliper. The '83 rotors are smaller in diameter (10 1/2") compared to the '82 (12"), therefore the caliper brackets are lower down the tubes on the '83. However, the good news is that you only require a right side caliper...the left one fits right on. Finding one is another story :o look at the yamahas of the same era. The Seca for instance, has the caliper on the right side :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Walt_M.

A note on the key, take the ignition lock to a locksmith. He can make a new key from the code number on the lock. Should take about 5 minutes and about 10 bucks.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jasonm.

You can improve the brakes on most bikes of the 70's and 80's. You can keep your stock single disc or find a 320mm from another Yamaha. I think the FJR1300 uses 2 with our 6 bolt pattern. But go to the Yamaha part site to be sure. THEN get a dual piston caliper on the single bigger disc. or do it on the stock disc. Just need to make an adapter similar to my dual set up. You will likely want a fork brace after the upgrade. I had better pads and Goodridge line on the '82 I had for a year or so. The Goodridge line was clear vinyl wrapped. Brake were far better than stock.  Shop Rat,,,,let's see some pictures.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Shop Rat

Ah, better yet.  That's what I'll do.  The cap on the parts bike is in better shape than on the project bike.

Thanks.

Frank

Quote from: Walt_M. on July 09, 2008, 03:42:57 PM
A note on the key, take the ignition lock to a locksmith. He can make a new key from the code number on the lock. Should take about 5 minutes and about 10 bucks.
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Shop Rat

Here's some quick snaps of the parts bike find.

Here it is sitting in the truck waiting to be rescued.

The fairing parts. To avoid damage I removed these before loading it.

Box of misc stuff that came with it. I'll post more shots later.

Quote from: jasonm. on July 09, 2008, 06:47:25 PM
You can improve the brakes on most bikes of the 70's and 80's. You can keep your stock single disc or find a 320mm from another Yamaha. I think the FJR1300 uses 2 with our 6 bolt pattern. But go to the Yamaha part site to be sure. THEN get a dual piston caliper on the single bigger disc. or do it on the stock disc. Just need to make an adapter similar to my dual set up. You will likely want a fork brace after the upgrade. I had better pads and Goodridge line on the '82 I had for a year or so. The Goodridge line was clear vinyl wrapped. Brake were far better than stock.  Shop Rat,,,,let's see some pictures.
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

joevacc

Man that's rough looking at that old girl lying on it's side!!!
  :(
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Shop Rat

It'll be out of its misery soon enough. I've decided to use the fairings on my '82 project bike.  I'll be keeping very little of the rest. 

FC

Quote from: joevacc on July 11, 2008, 03:03:37 PM
Man that's rough looking at that old girl lying on it's side!!!
  :(
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Night Vision

Shop Rat: that looks like an '82 to me.... but there are lots-o-stuff you might want to keep besides the fairing...

luggage rack
TCI
relays
tank
seat

hell... box it all up

every one ought to have a parts bike
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

I think we had already established it was an 82.  Based on the lack of dual front disks. 

Brian

Shop Rat

Good advice. I will hang on to some pieces. I hate that luggage rack, tho. And the seat is good only for the pan.

Quote from: Night Vision on July 11, 2008, 08:04:58 PM
Shop Rat: that looks like an '82 to me.... but there are lots-o-stuff you might want to keep besides the fairing...

luggage rack
TCI
relays
tank
seat

hell... box it all up

'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Night Vision

Quote from: Brian Moffet on July 11, 2008, 09:22:20 PM
I think we had already established it was an 82.  Based on the lack of dual front disks. 

Brian

sorry Brian.... I guess I just needed to see some pics before I jumped to that conclusion... ;)

Shop Rat... love it or hate it... there aren't many rack options out there... nice thing about those KG racks is they are pretty much universal, except for the mounting arms, and you can find back rests and sissy bars for them from other ones.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

If your smart you will keep the whole thing. Even if you don't have room , take it apart and box it up, even if you have to store it under the bed.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Shop Rat

I'm now almost certain the fairing and related parts were added by a previous owner. When I took the fairing mount weldment off, I saw crude labels on the head and signal light connectors (which will help when installing the stuff on the project bike). 

I think you're right about saving parts, but I'm only going to retain electrical items, as those seem to be the main source of headaches with old bikes of any make.  As for the rest, the old John Prine song comes to mind - "I'd rather have them cut me up, and pass me all around."

I still have parts for bikes I owned 30 years ago. 

Quote from: Rick G on July 13, 2008, 12:44:12 AM
If your smart you will keep the whole thing. Even if you don't have room , take it apart and box it up, even if you have to store it under the bed.
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Shop Rat

Quote from: Rick G on July 13, 2008, 12:44:12 AM

More snapshots of the stray I picked up.  There's enough dirt in the carbs to grow potatoes.  Airbox was missing. Everything else seems to be there.

FC
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

Shop Rat

The build date on the ID sticker is 11/81.  When did production start? 

Quote from: Night Vision on July 11, 2008, 08:04:58 PM

luggage rack
TCI
relays
tank
seat

hell... box it all up

'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F