clutch lever electrical query

Started by vadasz1, July 04, 2008, 12:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Does anybody know what the connector on the clutch lever is for?  It is the one that terminates at the harness with a green connector.

I'm asking because the wires seemed to have come out of the terminals at the lever end and I don't think that it can be repaired, but if it can I will for sure.  Maybe someone has a spare one available or knows how to instruct me on fabing up a new one.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

h2olawyer

That circuit is part of the starter cutoff safety system.  You can start the bike in gear if the side stand is up & the clutch is pulled in.  There is a small hole on the bottom of the clutch perch.  Use an allen wrench to push up through the hole on the lock tab on the switch - it should pull out of the perch.  You can then diagnose what you need, which is likely a new switch.

Unfortunately, I don't have one, but they may still be available from the dealer if nobody else has one for you.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I chucked mine , the only draw back is I have to put it in neutral to start it, hasn't been a problem for me in 9 years.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Rick, just jump the connector that the switch formerly plugged into, then you won't have to be in neutral to start the bike (if you stall while rolling, or at a light) but you better make sure that clutch is pulled in!!, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I thought about doing that , in fact its on my list of things to do , just not near the top!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike