Starter Rebuilt--working great. Somethings up with my battery.

Started by motorcyclezen, July 05, 2008, 03:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcyclezen

Got my starter rebuilt and re-installed and the bike cranks better than ever. However, I seem to have a problem with my battery.

I have about 1400 miles on the bike and new maintennance-free battery. Checked the voltage across the terminals with the bike running at idle and also at 5K. Pretty steady 14.6V.

I noticed that some of my fuses were loose, so I tightened the clamps. I also noticed that a couple of the wires from the stator to the RR were in need of re-crimping and connecting. Is there anything I should do before I replace the battery so this doesn't happen again?

Brewski gave me a nice Buss fuse panel that really snaps those things in tight. Maybe I need to wire it in and install it perhaps?

Any electrical upgrade advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ed--

h2olawyer

All sounds good with your charging & electrics.  14.5V (+/- .5V) is the spec.

The OEM fuse panel should be replaced.  Surprised you got the prongs tighter without breaking at least one of them off.  That said, I still use the OEM panel except for the 30A main which had one of the prongs break.  I wired in an inline 30A fuse holder that uses a newer style mini fuse.

As for the attachment of stator to R/R wires, some say to solder them.  I prefer the Posi-Loc connectors personally, since I can take the connections apart to do the tests when I have stator or R/R issues.

For other electrical upgrades, just go through the bike and thoroughly clean every connector.  Dipping them in CLR (yes, the household cleaner) for a few minutes, then rinsing them, letting them dry & putting them back together is one of the preferred methods. (I used dielectric silicone grease on the more weather exposed connections.)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

For what its worth you can still buy fuse holder ends at any auto parts store.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////