News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Interesting Day

Started by h2olawyer, July 05, 2008, 11:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Today, it was just too darn hot to ride - besides, I'm awaiting my new tires.  I decided to head down to the Loveland / Fort Collins airport.  Every July 4th, a trio of WWII era bombers comes into town for a few days & this year was no exception.  The B-17 (Nine-O-Nine), the B-24 Liberator (Witchcraft) and the B-25 (Tondalayo) were all on glorious display.  An inexpensive $12 gets you through the gate & there are self-guided tours through the B-17 & B-24.  The B-25 is too small to go through.  The B-25 was the type of bomber used in Dooltiile's raid on Tokyo in early 1942.  Hard to believe they got those things to take off from a WWII era carrier!

This year, they were joined by a North American TP-51C Mustang.   8)  The real cool thing is they are offering rides in the bombers ($425 per person) and the P-51 is a two seater (with dual controls) & rides are $2400 for a half hour / $3200 for an hour.  Wish I was rich.   ::)  Think I'll stash a $20 aside here & there over the next year & see about taking a bomber ride, though.

While I was there, someone ponied up for a ride in the Mustang.  Got to watch it start, taxi & take off.  The pilot got off the ground pretty quick, but held a low altitude all the way down the runway.  When he reached the South end, he pointed the nose nearly vertical.  I mentioned to one of the guys standing next to me - as the P-51 levelled off - that the passenger could now pull his stomach back around his spine.  Wow, did that thing climb!  I almose whipped out the credit card after seeing that display.   ;D  The sound of that Merlin V-16 is incredible.  (This one uses a Packard Merlin, but it was buily by license from Rolls-Royce.)

More info: www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm

Hope everyone had a safe & fun 4th!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Yes, they are fun to ride in.  I have personal experience, and thankfully I didn't have to pay for it...  ;D

h2olawyer

Figured I'd hear from you.  Like I said - wish I had $$$$$$ to burn.  That looks like one heck of a ride.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Packard Motor Car Company  was the only American company that Rolls Royce  felt ,  could produce the Quality they required, to release the design to.

As fast as a Mustang can climb , a 747 can out climb it to altitude and keep right on going!  makes you think doesn't it?
Sometime around 1974 , there was a B-25 in a lot , in Ontario CA. and someone left the gate wide open AND the access ladder down. naturally I  availed myself  of the opportunity to inspect the plane . I spent half an hour fantasizing in the cock pit . When I left, I closed the gate , wouldn't want just any one  getting in the plane. ::) ::) ::) ::)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

I absolutely love the P-51.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Yup, though my ride was well over a decade ago, and fuel was a whole lot cheaper then...  it was only a 15 minute ride, and there were no controls in the back...  Oh well, it's still my flying goal to pilot a P-51.  Even if I don't make it, I should have fun getting there.

motoracer8

10 years ago I went to a BMW rally in Flagstaff Az. After a day or so at the rally, My riding budy Richard, who flys for United, pointed out that there was an antique aircraft show just across the freeway, so we went to take in the old airplanes. While wandering Richard runs into one of his buddys that flys for the confederate air force, he flew the Sentamental journey, a B17 to the air show, Rich's buddy said hang around and after the show we'll go for a ride. What a ride, I got to sit in the bombadiers seat, we flew out over the Grand Canyon, about a 40 minute flight. I can't say that I would like to fly across the English channel and back in one of those, but it was a very cool flight indeed. My dad and one of his buddys owned a P51 back in the 50's, I was too young to remember much about it but I have pictures.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Brian Moffet

Quote from: motoracer8 on July 08, 2008, 11:15:56 PM
While wandering Richard runs into one of his buddys that flys for the confederate air force, he flew the Sentamental journey, a B17 to the air show, Rich's buddy said hang around and after the show we'll go for a ride.

Great Plane, I'm jealous.:

h2olawyer

Watched a program on ION TV last night.  This episode of Sport Pilot was about the Oshkosh (WI) fly-in.  Quite the event.  I've been hearing about it for years, ever since a good friend spent the summer in the Chicago area & earned his pilot's license.  That summer (about 1980), my friend & his uncle took his uncle's plane to Oshkosh.  It was a T-34.  They participated in a rally where they had to preplan their time & fuel consumption over a set course, flying among several airports, doing touch & gos at each.  They finished about midpack, even though they were less than a gallon off in their fuel consumption figures & touched down for the finish within 5 minutes of their planned time.

Last night's program had a bunch of footage of T-34s and interviews with several of the T-34 owners / pilots.  Lots of formation flying.  Seeing that program reminded me of the stories my friend came back with after that summer.  Needless to say, he was pretty excited about the whole experience.

Sentimental Journey was here a few years ago.  I really like the unpainted aluminum look, even though it was impractical for combat operations.  As I recall, Sentimental Journey was originally used as a rescue craft & never flew any bombing missions in anger.  That doesn't take anything away from it's significance as so few are flying today.  Sure is cool that people have rescued a few of all those legendary craft & made them flight-worthy again.

H2O