Who else besides Big Brother is watching you?

Started by YellowJacket!, July 06, 2008, 05:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

OK, im sure this is for entertainment purposes only but it IS kind of scary.

http://aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

uh,, dave ,, the pizza places  and chinese take out places here DO use something similar --- your number on caller id links the data base,, they offer menu ideas based on your previous orders .

i do not think it is that detailed,, but just knowing someone took the time to create an excel doc that lets them cross reference all of your previous orders is a bit scary
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

Consider the source: ACLU

For those interested in ACLU founder Roger Baldwin and the stated goals of the ACLU:

www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2005/sep/05092102.html

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 06, 2008, 06:26:31 PM
www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2005/sep/05092102.html

Before recommending that organization, I would recommend looking into what else they support:

"The service was originally started by Campaign Life Coalition (CLC), a Canadian national pro-life organization headquartered in Toronto, Canada. Campaign Life Coalition, founded in 1978, was one of the first pro-life organizations to emphasize the international dimension of attacks on life and family. Along with a few other groups it pioneered pro-life lobbying at United Nations conferences. CLC president, Jim Hughes, is currently also vice-president of the International Right to Life Federation."

I would say that they are diametrically opposed to ACLU, and can not be trusted to present a non-biased opinion, despite what the claim.

And an issue the ACLU has supported:

"On a segment that featured Rush Limbaugh and his appeal to the State Supreme Court of Florida over seizure of his medical records, Shepard Smith acted surprised that Limbaugh was being supported by the American Civil Liberty Union (ACLU).

On a show that was filled with the Michael Jackson trial/debacle and the missing woman from Georgia, Shepard Smith took time to present a short story on Rush Limbaugh.

Smith said: "The Florida Supreme Court, rejecting an appeal from Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk show host, over the seizure of his medical records. Prosecutors took the records while investigating whether the conservative talk show host illegally purchased pain killers.

As of now, he has not been charged with a single crime. Limbaugh says he's innocent and argues the case threatens privacy rights, a point supported by, (pause) of all groups to be in support of Rush Limbaugh, the American Civil Liberties Union."

They are not a communist organization, and I am deeply surprised you would believe any of that.

Brian

Walt_M.

Didn't W.C. Fields say, 'anyone who hates kids and dogs can't be all bad'? Even the ACLU can accidentally accomplish some good, but I'm sure they don't really intend to.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

Only used that site to point out who founded the ACLU and what they originally stood for.  I have not read anything else from that site, so I don't know what their overall philosophy is - nor do I really care.  I did a search for ACLU founder & they were one of several that came up, all saying basically the same thing.  Just picked them at random.  Even the Wikipedia entry on Roger Baldwin says the same general thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Nash_Baldwin

The sooner the US population wises up to what the ACLU is and what their goals are, the better off this nation will be.  They deserve equal billing with their ideological ally, the Communist Party, or the Nazi Party, the KKK and all the other disgusting fringe elements at both ends of the spectrum.  They have their right to say what they want, but people need to understand who they are & what their underlying goals are before praising them - or worse, sending them any $$.

They do take up a rare case involving the support of a conservative, but those are extremely rare.  One of those causes cost them tons of contributions for a long time - the Skokie, Illinois Nazi Party's right to march.  Guess it's fine to defend any liberal's rights, but when they actually fight for the rights of an organization nearly everyone finds disgusting, the idea of free speech isn't as appealing.  It sounds like they support free speech - as long as it's speech we agree with - judging by the drop in monetary support shown after that incident.  I have disliked & distrusted the ACLU for over 30 years, when I wrote a paper about them, and every time I read more, it only gets worse.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

I would say that more toward people like Rush than the ACLU.  I think they have accomplished a lot of good:

Scopes trial (paid for Scope's defense)
Miranda v. Arizona
Roe v Wade
Brandenburg v. Ohio (represented Brandenburg)

And many others from the 1920s through the present.

h2olawyer

We can agree to disagree about the ACLU, I guess, because the societal wrongs will eventually be corrected with or without them.  That includes overturning the "right" to murder an unborn child.  Whatever happened to personal responsibility for one's actions?

H2O

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 06, 2008, 08:28:54 PM
One of those causes cost them tons of contributions for a long time - the Skokie, Illinois Nazi Party's right to march.  Guess it's fine to defend any liberal's rights, but when they actually fight for the rights of an organization nearly everyone finds disgusting, the idea of free speech isn't as appealing. 

Actually, this seems to point to the heart of the problem.  While the ACLU is willing to take on cases involving civil liberties, whether they are popular or not, the people who donate money are not.

You have just stated that you believe the ACLU is only as good as its donors.  And yet, in the same paragraph, you have stated that they work beyond their supporters for a greater good.  You might want to decide whether it is the ACLU you dislike, or their donors you dislike so much.

h2olawyer

An organization is only as good as its members.  That's why the ROV is so awesome!   ;D

H2O

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

I'm no expert , but every time the ACLU does something I feel is good , they turn around and do something I feel is despicable. The scare me.
Any way I need a Hug!!!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike