News:

Main Menu

Electrical Question

Started by motorcyclezen, July 06, 2008, 09:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcyclezen

Okay, so I took Inane's and h2o's advice and checked and cleaned my wiring. The Main had like about 3 soldered spices near the fuse connection, and when I pulled the old fuses, 3 prongs just fell off! So...

...I replaced the fuse panel with a more positive snap-in glass fuse holder. That's to say I really need to use a tool now if I ever want to pull the fuses. Everything seems to work okay. I was trying to check for voltage drops and noticed that my main reads like 13V when I ground it.

I'm obviously not much an auto/motorcycle electrician, but is this normal? I guess there would have to be something there for may fan to run a bit after I shut my machine off. There are just so many things about this bike I'm not sure are right.

Any knowledge and help is much appreciated.

Ed--

Brian Moffet

Yes, your main will remain hot, though normally the relay connecting most of the electrics will be open (not passing current.)  That will allow your fan to run when the temp gets warm and you pull the switch.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to my wiring diagram right now (I'm on a different disk than normal on my computer) but I believe the fan wire will go to the main pre-relay, and then I think it is grounded through the temperature switch.

Brian

h2olawyer

Fixing the fuse block will go a long ways in getting your electrics right.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

All old Yamaha's have crappy fuse blocks , the were provided by the lowest bidder and weren't all that great when new.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike