Headlight retainer spring...........

Started by vadasz1, July 08, 2008, 08:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Does anyone know how the headlight retainer spring holds the headlight firmly in place?  I swapped the headlight trim with one that I painted, and the old one had the spring held in with  hot melt glue or something.  I can't figure it out as I have looked in the Haynes and also searched the board.  The service manual may help but looks likeley not.

If anyone has a picture of the spring hoding the headlight in , would be great.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

vadasz1

Well looks like I do have some aptitude as it seems.  After about a half hour of playing with it I funally got it in.  I didn't realize that one end actually had to be slipped behind the tab in the middle of the top part of the trim piece.  Now the light is securely in place.

I really wish that this would have been explained in atleast one of the manuals that are on Lucky's DVD.  Since my spring was glued in place and it fell out after I took the light out I had no idea as to how it held the lamp housing in place.  Just goes to show you that even the simplest tasks can be somewhat complicated (if you have no clue what you're doing). ;D

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

h2olawyer

If yours was glued in, it was done by a previous owner.  I've disassembled at least 4 headlights & none of them had any signs of the spring being glued in.  Every one I've done, I've had to play around with the spring to get it back in correctly.  Even after doing it several times, I still can't remember how it goes back in.   ::)  Glad you figured it out.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

vadasz1

the middle of the spring goes towards the headlight frame and the wings snap aqainst the inside of the trim.  But make sure to atleast place the wing of the spring into the tab on the trim also.

Night Vision

yah... they are tricky.... but I am pleased you figured it out... took me awhile also, so do not question your aptitude  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano