stripped thread on crankcase side cover, can this be fixed with helicoil?

Started by kiwibum, July 08, 2008, 02:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwibum

Has anyone repaired stripped threads on their crank case for the side covers with helicoils. Going to buy some tools online so I'll add helicoils to the list if these will work. The hole is M6, top of the LHS crank case above the flywheel, there isn't a lot of room there but I'm hoping a standard helicoil will fit. I've seen some thiner replacement threads that are a solid bushing thread but they are almost 3 times the price ($50 compared to $18 for the helicoil type).

It weeps oil there at the moment, one of the bottom threads is going as well. People need to learn you don't need to haul on these bolts to stop oil leaks, they just need to be all the same torque.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

My oil filter has heli coils on two of the socket head screws and theres one on the top screw on the stator cover , or was that on the last bottom end? I get so confused !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

if the top bolt on the LHS cover is leaking.... check to see if it has the copper washer... one of them do...

one time quickie fix is to try slightly longer bolts... that might give you some more "bite"

I'm at the point that I'll probably end up helicoiling the left case at some point in time because of overzealous tightening by others... or maybe even me.... but I'll blame the PO  ::)

that point in time will be (heaven forbid) a dead stator... noisy starter clutch, or another oil leak.... all of which have been addressed and are behaving nicely thank you very much
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Extent

I'm pretty sure at least one of my side case bolts is helicoiled.  No problems here, and it's supposed to be stronger than the original threads.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Extent on July 08, 2008, 10:26:01 PM
No problems here, and it's supposed to be stronger than the original threads.

Most aircraft spark plug threads are heli-coiled because it is stronger.

kiwibum

Thanks guys I'll add these to my order. I know they will be strong enough it's just whether there will be enough left in the casing to hold everything. I looked in to fitting a longer bolt but there is nothing left for on this one, I'm doing that on the one on the bottom. Thanks for the info on the copper washer, it doesn't have that from what I can remember so I'll check on that as well. Thanks again for the replies, happy ridding.
Steve

inanecathode

Quote from: Brian Moffet on July 08, 2008, 11:50:04 PM
Quote from: Extent on July 08, 2008, 10:26:01 PM
No problems here, and it's supposed to be stronger than the original threads.

Most aircraft spark plug threads are heli-coiled because it is stronger.

That makes alot of sense actually.
I like how airplanes are built...
Two ignition systems, magnetos and points...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////